Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Friday, March 05, 2021

Bible Study - Essentials (1) - The Nature of GOD - John 14 - March 7, 2021

 

Bible Study – Essentials (1) – The Nature of GOD – March 7, 2021

This is lesson one in our series entitled, “Essentials of Christianity.”

Our focus scripture is John 14:8-11, 16-20, 23-26.

GOD has revealed Himself to us as FATHER, SON and HOLY SPIRIT.

The three are ONE or the TRINITY. When I think of The Trinity, I think of unity. If you ask a question to any of the three, you get the same answer.

We have covered some fundamentals of being a Christian over the past several weeks.

There is a question that has been flowing through my mind for the past few days - as recorded in John 5:19 -20:

19 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you the Son is not able to do anything on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father[e] does, the Son likewise does these things. 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him everything he is doing, and he will show him greater works than these so that you will be amazed.

How does this apply to Christians today? 

Peter could walk on water until he took his eyes off JESUS. Focus Factor, what is our Focus Factor? Do we see what our FATHER or JESUS or the Holy Spirit is doing or showing us? It is all about relationship. Are we in such an intimate relationship with GOD through faith in JESUS that we see what HE is doing or listening that we know what HE is telling us?

JESUS said in John 5: 30 “I can do nothing on my own. I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is justbecause I do not seek my own will, but the will of him who sent me.

Whose will do we seek to accomplish? Ours or our LORD’s? The results depend upon us doing the will of our FATHER and remaining connected to the true vine, JESUS. Baby steps lead to bigger steps and greater confidence in stepping out in faith.

John 15:7-8 - If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you want and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this: that you produce much fruit and prove to be[a] my disciples.

Abiding in the true vine by studying and putting into practice HIS Word.

Let’s read John 14:1-7:

The Way to the Father

14 Don’t let your heart be troubled. Believe[a] in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you to myself, so that where I am you may be also. You know the way to where I am going.”[b]

“Lord,” Thomas said, “we don’t know where you’re going. How can we know the way?”

Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will also know[c] my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

There is only one way to be in right relationship with GOD and have eternal life and that is through faith in JESUS.

Let’s read John14:8-11:

Jesus Reveals the Father

“Lord,” said Philip, “show us the Father, and that’s enough for us.”

Jesus said to him, “Have I been among you all this time and you do not know me, Philip? The one who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who lives in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Otherwise, believe[d] because of the works themselves.

When faith is not enough, we seek physical proof that reflects our standard. We have the indwelling Holy Spirit WHO confirms our relationship to GOD through faith. The Holy Spirit is at work in our lives, just as HE was at work in the life of JESUS.

Praying in Jesus’s Name

12 “Truly I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do. And he will do even greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me[e] anything in my name, I will do it.[f]

Anything? If we are abiding in the true vine, will we ask for foolish things or things in accordance to the will of our FATHER?

What was JESUS’ teaching on faith? In Matthew 17: ­-19-20:  19 Then the disciples approached Jesus privately and said, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”

20 “Because of your little faith,” he[j] told them. “For truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of [k] a mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”[l]

Have you ever seen the size of a mustard seed? It is very small and that is all the faith we need in what or whom? JESUS!!! HE is the ONE WHO does the work and it is our faith in HIM that accomplishes the issue.

How do you build such faith? How do you build your muscles? You exercise. The same is true for Spiritual muscles. Ask GOD to help you build your Spiritual muscles for the purpose of serving GOD.

The disciples had not received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. JESUS had to die and be resurrected from the dead and ascend into Heaven. Then the FATHER sent the Holy Spirit to indwell all who repent of their sins and accept the atoning death of JESUS by the shedding of HIS Blood.

The indwelling Holy Spirit confirms and assures every Spirit born Christian that he or she is a Child of GOD and has eternal life.

Romans 8:16 - 16 The Spirit himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God’s children,

Another Counselor Promised

15 “If you love me, you will keep[g] my commands. 

Let’s read John 14:16-20:

16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor[h] to be with you forever. 17 He is the Spirit of truth. The world is unable to receive him because it doesn’t see him or know him. But you do know him, because he remains with you and will be[i] in you.

Once the Holy Spirit indwells each person who places his or her faith in JESUS, HE never leaves. The Spiritual born person is eternally GOD’S Son or Daughter. A person can lose his or her rewards through the test of fire but NOT his or her salvation. But why not seek to have the fulness of JESUS flowing through you while you are upon earth? Why limit what JESUS can do through you? We are to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth to those who are hurting and seeking something of great value. And we have it! Why not share it?

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit

18 “I will not leave you as orphans; I am coming to you. 19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Because I live, you will live too. 20 On that day you will know that I am in my Father, you are in me, and I am in you. 

JESUS was speaking to HIS disciples. I have to leave you for a reason. It is a good thing. In fact, it is for your eternal good because I will return to you. Keep in mind that 20 On that day you will know that I am in my Father, you are in me, and I am in you. 

There will be a melding together of Spiritual and physical. That is what being Spiritually born in the flesh through faith in JESUS is all about.

Do you recall JESUS prayer in John 17:20-26:

Jesus Prays for All Believers

20 “I pray not only for these, but also for those who believe in me through their word. 21 May they all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I am in you. May they also be[e] in us, so that the world may believe you sent me. 22 I have given them the glory you have given me, so that they may be one as we are one. 23 I am in them and you are in me, so that they may be made completely one, that the world may know you have sent me and have loved them as you have loved me.

24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, so that they will see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the world’s foundation. 25 Righteous Father, the world has not known you. However, I have known you, and they have known that you sent me. 26 I made your name known to them and will continue to make it known, so that the love you have loved me with may be in them and I may be in them.”

The love of the FATHER for the SON and all other Sons and Daughters to follow.

Let’s read John 14:21-22:

21 The one who has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. And the one who loves me will be loved by my Father. I also will love him and will reveal myself to him.”

22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it you’re going to reveal yourself to us and not to the world?”

What is the measure for abiding in the true vine? Keeping the commands because of the love we have for JESUS. What did JESUS do?

John 3:16-17 put it into proper perspective - 16 For God loved the world in this way:[e] He gave[f] his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

JESUS willingly came to earth just for you to have eternal life. That is specific and personal.

Let’s read John 14:23-25:

23 Jesus answered, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 The one who doesn’t love me will not keep my words. The word that you hear is not mine but is from the Father who sent me.

25 “I have spoken these things to you while I remain with you. 26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you.

How important is the Holy Spirit to every Christian? The Holy Spirit is vital to every Christian. We read in ACTS what takes place when Christians allow the Holy Spirit come upon them. They tell others about JESUS and are endowed with Spiritual Gifts to minister to fellow Christians and those who are lost in sin.

Every Spirit born Christian is in fulltime work for our LORD JESUS. HE is the reason for reaching out to a world lost in sin and seeks salvations from eternal death. Fellow Christians, we have the answer.

FATHER, anoint each of us with the message of salvation and reveal the Spiritual Gift or Gifts YOU have given to each of us, as YOU have chosen, for us to use as YOU have chosen for us to serve in YOUR Kingdom upon earth. AMEN!!!

Blessings!!!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home