Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Thursday, December 24, 2020

Bible Study - Emotions (4) - Redirecting Anger - Psalm 35:1-3, 13-18 - December 27, 3030

 

Bible Study – Emotions (4) – Redirecting Anger – December 27, 2020

This is lesson four (4) in our series entitled “When Emotions Arise.”

Our focus scripture is Psalm 35:1-3, 13-18.

Take your anger to GOD and leave matters in HIS hands.

This is a very hard thing to do, until we have exhausted every effort on our part, unless we have discovered that we can trust GOD to handle the issues of life.

When we, as GOD’S Sons or Daughters, face issues in life, do we face them passively or actively? Generally, we face them actively. But our first step needs to be bringing the issue before our LORD no matter how simple or complex and ask HIM to guide our steps toward the best solution. HE may direct us to take action or to take our hands off and wait upon HIM

Many times, David had to trust GOD to order his steps and so do we as we journey through life. Do we trust GOD? Generally, after we have let go and let GOD. We think we must do something. We must listen to the still small voice of GOD or however you know when GOD speaks to you or directs/leads you.

Let’s read Psalm 35:1-3:

Prayer for Victory

Of David.

Oppose my opponents, Lord;
fight those who fight me.
Take your shields—large and small—
and come to my aid.
Draw the spear and javelin against my pursuers,
and assure me, “I am your deliverance.”

Bible scholars think that David wrote this Psalm. It certainly has language that relates to the experiences David had when the LORD got him out of tight spots. But regardless of who wrote it, the person had developed a strong, trusting, personal, intimate, loving, best friend relationship with GOD.

That is exactly GOD’S desire for each of us today. Most of us desire that same relationship with GOD. So, why do we not go after it? Often, we think GOD may ask us to do something we do not want to do. What will our friends think? Those are barriers to having a loving, intimate, trusting, personal, best friend relationship with GOD. FATHER, here I am warts and all, make me into the Spirit filled Christian YOU desire for me to be and give me YOUR strength to serve YOU. Thank YOU! Let’s go to work ---

Oppose my opponents, Lord;
fight those who fight me.

The phrase “oppose my opponents” is a legal phrase. David needed GOD to defend him like a lawyer would defend him. He needed an advocate to defend him. (Keep in mind that JESUS is the advocate of every Christian). To me, with GOD being a person’s advocate or lawyer carries the idea that our advocate knows the truth about us when he defends us. Certainly, GOD knows the truth of any situation in which we find ourselves and HE will establish our innocence. We may be guilty but forgiven.

The word “oppose” comes from a Hebrew word “rib” and carries the idea of “to strive” or to carry out a lawsuit and all that a lawsuit involves, e.g., examine all the evidence, establish and confirm truth.

Then the psalmist called upon GOD to fight for him. David was releasing the reason for the fight from his hands into GOD’S hands. David trusted GOD to fight the battle in his behalf.

To relinquish the issues, we face in life from our hands to GOD, requires a step of faith and trust. This is trust that GOD fights for us because our trust is in HIM. Here we need discernment. There are some issues we have to respond to. If we have sinned against another person, we need to go to that person and ask for forgiveness before the sun goes down. In other words, take action quickly to resolve a matter before it has time to fester.

I recall a person I worked with jumped me verbally for no apparent reason. The person was a Christian and that night the person called me and apologized because GOD had convicted him for what he had said.

Notice the spelling used for LORD. It is all caps which indicates that David was referring to the LORD/GOD as the covenant GOD (Yahweh). Notice the spelling of Lord when we get to verse 17. It is Lord or Adonai which indicates a shift in the psalmist relationship with GOD; Still GOD but different role.

 
Take your shields—large and small—
and come to my aid.

David knew what a warrior needed to fight in close quarters and open spaces. You needed both your large and small shield. The large shield was to deflect or protect you from a volley of arrows coming from the enemy. The small shield was for protection in close up hand to hand combat.


Draw the spear and javelin against my pursuers,
and assure me, “I am your deliverance.”

The psalmist was asking GOD to fight in his behalf. The psalmist recognized and acknowledged that GOD can be trusted to change the balance of power and victory is certain. The spear and javelin are weapons designed to kill.

So, what can we learn from the psalmist: (Copied from page 51, Advanced Bible Study, Winter 2020-21, LifeWay, Nashville, TN)

-         When we are innocent of wrong doing, we can boldly call on the LORD to defend us as David did. (Even when we are guilty, we can ask GOD to help us – my addition.)

-         There are times when we need to step back and let GOD fight our battles and defend us against accusations.

-         Sometimes GOD elects to judge our enemies in this life, and some matters will not be cleared up until GOD’S day of final judgement, Remember HIS timing is perfect.

-         For the Christians, GOD is always our deliverance.

Also, for the yet to be Christian, GOD sends HIS angels to minister to those who are to receive salvation. If you have been delivered from certain situations but not a Christian, think about it. It may be your wake-up call to seek JESUS as your Savior.  

Let’s read Psalm 35:13-16:


13 Yet when they were sick,
my clothing was sackcloth;
I humbled myself with fasting,
and my prayer was genuine.[
a]
14 I went about mourning as if for my friend or brother;
I was bowed down with grief,
like one mourning for a mother.
15 But when I stumbled, they gathered in glee;
they gathered against me.
Assailants I did not know
tore at me and did not stop.
16 With godless mockery[
b]
they gnashed their teeth at me.

 

David recalled the times when some so-called friends fought together and they encountered sickness, injury or battle wounds. David ministered to them either physically or with prayer. He had put on sackcloth and prayed for them. Sackcloth was basically burlap. It was stiff and itchy and would keep you alert to pray.  Those to whom David ministered, later turned their backs on him.

 

There are times when we reach out to others that they will later turn their backs on us. How do we react when that happens? Who do we turn to?

 

Some people we go to battle for or with, can turn out to be our enemy.

 

Again, what are some lasting truths from this section of scripture as printed in the fall edition of Advanced Bible Study”

 

-         Like David, we can expect to be painfully wounded by disloyal friends

-         Sometimes people we sincerely care about will turn against us, but the LORD can always be trusted to act in our best interest

-         Enemies will celebrate and pile on when we go through difficult times.

 

Let’s read Psalm 35:17-18:

17 Lord, how long will you look on?
Rescue me from their ravages;
rescue my precious life from the young lions.
18 I will praise you in the great assembly;
I will exalt you among many people.

 

Certainly, David had placed his hope and confidence in GOD to fight for him. But David was not experiencing the results of GOD’S intervention.

 

I mentioned in verse 1 about the psalmist spelling of LORD/Lord. LORD as used in verse 1 refers to Yahweh or GOD as the covenant GOD Who is ever-present, all-pervading power and majesty. This is reference to the GOD Who rescued HIS chosen people from captivity and entered into an everlasting covenant relationship with the Israelites.

 

Lord is used for GOD but it carries the idea of God as “master.” The psalmist had shifted his thinking from their relationship being simply a covenant relationship to a servant relationship with GOD being his trusted “Master.” This relationship was based upon the fact that the psalmists willingly served GOD based upon experience and trust.

 

Since David had built such a solid relationship with GOD over time and GOD had proven faithful to deliver him from many dire situations, why was HE now taking HIS time to respond. Yes, there is a tone of impatience.

 

Do you ever get impatient with GOD? I do. Why does GOD wait? Is HE testing us? Will we take matters into our own hands or wait upon HIM?

 

The psalmist completely trusted GOD to rescue him but when? In essence, the psalmist was saying in the words he wrote, “Lord, I know that YOU know what I am experiencing and I know that YOU are going to rescue me but I do not understand why YOU are taking so long. I know YOU know what is going on in my life but I will trust YOU to rescue me at just the right time.”

 

Have you ever felt like that?

 

So, what does the psalmist do? He asked GOD again, “Rescue me from their ravages; rescue my precious life from the young lions.”

 

He was comfortable asking GOD again to rescue him from the things that were “ravaging” him which were tantamount to “young lions” going after prey to be devoured. Young lions are mature enough to go after prey. Young lions were known for their ferocity. The psalmist felt like he was being ripped apart and needed GOD to rescue him.

It seems like the psalmist was bargaining with GOD in verse 18 I will praise you in the great assembly; I will exalt you among many people.

 

When YOU deliver me, regardless of how long it takes, “I will” ---. The psalmist’ trust was still in GOD to deliver him. When that happened, he would give honor and glory to GOD because he trusted GOD. When we face circumstances, we think impossible for us to escape unless GOD intervenes, we still trust GOD to respond.  

 

If we wrote a Psalm, what would it read like? Write one.

 

FATHER, we are YOUR children but life does get tedious at times. Help us who have placed our faith in JESUS to always know that YOU never leave us or forsake us.

 

When anger rises up within us, as GOD’S Children, may we always look to YOU for the solution. We may need to ask someone to forgive us, or go to someone and seek reconciliation.

 

The Apostle Paul taught, as recorded in Ephesians 4:26 26 Be angry and do not sin.[a] Don’t let the sun go down on your anger,

 

Do not let things fester. Do your part to resolve an issue. The other person or persons may not respond but that will be their problem. We must do our part.

 

Call upon GOD and ask HIM to help us in times of need.

Blessings!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home