Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Bible Study - Grief - Recognize God's Presence - Psalm 31 - April 10, 2011

Bible Study – Maze of Grief – Recognize God’s Presence – April 10, 2011

This is lesson two (2) in our series entitled “Negotiating the Maze of Grief.”
Our scripture is Psalm 31:1-10, 14-16, 21-24.
As mentioned in last week’s study, grief results from a number of events in our lives – loss of life, loss of health, loss of friendship(s), loss of companionship, loss of fellowship, loss of freedom, loss of innocence, loss of opportunity and the list goes on. Grief covers more than loss of life and can be just as traumatic.


This week we will consider grief coming from outside sources making our lives miserable. Does GOD care when that happens to us? YES!!! How can HE come to our aid? Our scripture is taken from Psalm 31. This Psalm was written by David. We are not sure when in David’s life he wrote it. GOD considered David to be a man after HIS Own Heart. We know that even though David was a man after GOD’S Own Heart, David had the freedom to choose. As a result, David had many troubles during his life’s journey. Some trouble came as the result of his faithfully serving King Saul and other troubles came as the result of David’s sin. Let’s explore.


Let’s read Psalm 31:1-10: A Plea for Protection
For the choir director. A Davidic psalm.
1 LORD, I seek refuge in You; let me never be disgraced. Save me by Your righteousness. 2 Listen closely to me; rescue me quickly. Be a rock of refuge for me, a mountain fortress to save me. 3 For You are my rock and my fortress;[1]You lead and guide me because of Your name.[2]4 You will free me from the net[3]that is secretly set for me, for You are my refuge. 5 Into Your hand I entrust my spirit;[4]You redeem[5] me, LORD, God of truth. 6 I[6] hate those who are devoted to worthless idols, but I trust in the LORD. 7 I will rejoice and be glad in Your faithful love because You have seen my affliction. You have known the troubles of my life 8 and have not handed me over to the enemy. You have set my feet in a spacious place. 9 Be gracious to me, LORD, because I am in distress; my eyes are worn out from angry sorrow— my whole being[7] as well. 10 Indeed, my life is consumed with grief, and my years with groaning; my strength has failed because of my sinfulness,[8]and my bones waste away.

In verses 1-4, David confirmed his faith and dependence upon GOD in the midst of his troubles. David was under distress from others. He trusted GOD to keep him from being trapped in a hidden net set to capture him. Hunters would hide a net so that when the prey came along they would be caught in the net. David trusted GOD to guide his paths so that he would not be caught by those setting a snare for him. Even if he did get caught, he trusted GOD to help him get free of the trap.


I know of a time that a snare had been set for me and GOD guided me through it. I never knew what was going on until after the fact. When it was revealed and I had the joy of seeing what HE had done without even my knowledge of what was going on.


Verse 5 is an interesting verse. Let’s look at Luke 23:46:
46 And Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into Your hands I entrust My spirit.”[20] Saying this, He breathed His last.


JESUS uttered the words which David had written in Psalm 31:5 as HE hung upon the cross and gave HIS life for us.


David continued to express his complete trust and confidence in GOD to deliver him from his situation. In verse 6, David confirmed his faith in GOD and not some worthless idol. Idols are nothing but GOD sees all, knows all, is everywhere and is all powerful.


It seems that most, if not all, of David’s earthly relationships had gone bad. People had turned against him in every direction. He felt abandoned by every human relationship except for his security and relationship that he had in GOD. Sometimes Christians may feel that they have been abandoned but GOD is always present. Sin may block our fellowship with HIM but HE is there and all we have to do is confess our sin and call upon HIM. HE never leaves HIS children or forsakes them. That is security.


Have you ever felt that everyone around you were against you? During such a time, who or what do you reach for – alcohol, drugs, food, a trusted friend or your faith in GOD through CHRIST? David made it clear that he found solace in knowing GOD. Knowing GOD is critical. David had experienced the total love and care of GOD in many situations as he journeyed through life. He sought GOD’S help and he had built an intimate relationship with GOD through good times and bad. He saw the hand of GOD come to his aid many times. He reflected back to those times and found comfort. It was like he needed to remind himself of GOD’S protective care. Such experience reassured him that he could trust GOD in this situation. David had built a genuine intimate, loving relationship with GOD.


If you have never experienced GOD’S comfort and care and you are experiencing a time of trial, this may be your first opportunity to trust GOD. Look to HIM and talk to HIM about your situation. If you have sinned, then confess your sin and turn from it (1 John 1:9) The following scripture comes to mind which is found in Proverbs 3:5-6 - 5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (KJV)


David had experienced GOD delivering him from a tight situation when he felt boxed in. GOD provided him the space to move and escape if necessary. David had wept over his situation until his eyes hurt and he had grieved over it so much that he felt his sorrow to his very bones or his very core. In essence, David had repented from whatever it was that was troubling him; therefore, there was no un-confessed sin in his life that would hinder his relationship with GOD.


David had done all he knew to do and he was weak and weary. Only GOD could deliver him from his situation. David trusted GOD fully to help him even if what he had done was wrong. GOD stands ready to help all who called upon HIM. HE helps those in need of salvation and HE helps HIS children. HE expects all to acknowledge and confess their sin, if that is the case. HE will come to their aid when asked. But they may have to live with the consequences of what they have done for the rest of their lives. But HE will even help HIS children do that.


Let’s read Psalm 31:14-16:
14 But I trust in You, LORD; I say, “You are my God.” 15 The course of my life is in Your power; deliver me from the power of my enemies and from my persecutors. 16 Show Your favor to Your servant; save me by Your faithful love.


David again expressed his trust in GOD to lead and direct his life. HE asked GOD to deliver him from his enemies and those who were persecuting him. You can see an element of “I worship YOU and YOU alone. I do not worship or place my trust in idols. However, those who are treating me like they are worship idols and don’t acknowledge YOU. Therefore, show them that I belong to YOU by delivering me.”


Many of us have likely prayed such a prayer. Sometimes GOD answers it and comes to our aid. Sometimes HE does not. We have to be honest about the situation we are in. Is it something we have caused? Are we testing GOD by asking HIM to intervene in our behalf? Is there something we need to confess to GOD or ask someone to forgive us for what we have done? It can get complicated. Yet, when we pray and ask GOD to come to our aid and HE does nothing, we usually get upset with HIM. I know it has happened to me. I had to take matters into my own hands. That was a big mistake.


GOD had remained silent but I was impatient. Taking matters into my own hands took them out of GOD’S and it was a mistake. But GOD allows us to do that to teach us a lesson. Will I do it again, probably? In some situations that I have prayed about, I am still waiting for an answer. We need to consider that our answer may come from GOD through our spouse or a trusted friend. Will we see that as an answer to prayer? The toughest is to wait upon the LORD.


The Bible tells us to seek wise counsel. Do we throw GOD out when HE does not jump when we say jump? NO! GOD may be testing us and teaching us to wait upon HIM. We may have the answer and we do not want to do it. When that is the case, HE will not change HIS answer. We may move on based upon our own notions. When we do it will likely be a learning experience to wait upon HIM.


We have to trust that HE is working and HE has a plan that will come together according to HIS timing. It may be that we need to work on something in our lives which can only come about as the result of us experiencing this circumstance or situation. Also, some of us are stubborn, like me, and want GOD to respond our way. When HE responds differently, we reject it. This reveals our Spiritual immaturity and it is time for a Spiritual tune-up.


Let’s read Psalm 31:21-24:
21 May the LORD be praised, for He has wonderfully shown His faithful love to me in a city under siege.[13]22 In my alarm I had said, “I am cut off from Your sight.” But You heard the sound of my pleading when I cried to You for help. 23 Love the LORD, all His faithful ones. The LORD protects the loyal, but fully repays the arrogant. 24 Be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the LORD.


David recalled the times when GOD came to his aid, even when he did not think GOD heard him. He had felt cut off from GOD but GOD heard him and came to his rescue. The message is that GOD always hears HIS children.


There are times when we have to go back to those times when we knew that GOD had intervened in our lives. GOD cares and watches over us. HE may choose to allow us to go through a time of grief in order for us to deal with things in our lives that need to be dealt with. This is in order for us to have a closer relationship with HIM which may extend to others. These are not pleasant times. GOD’S lessons often are very difficult but in retrospect they are vital for our Spiritual growth and maturity.


As Dr. Vance Havner used to say, “Christians have to practice in the dark what they have learned in the light.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home