Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Friday, January 31, 2020

Bible Study - Suffering (4) - What is GOD'S Answer to Suffering? - Job 40:1-8; 42:1-6 - February 2, 2020



Bible Study – Suffering (4) – What is GOD’S Answer to Suffering? – February 2, 2020


This is lesson four (4) in our series entitled “When Life Gets Hard: Big Questions About Pain and Suffering.”


Our focus scripture is Job 40:1-8; 42:1-6.


GOD’S actions are often beyond our understanding but we can trust HIM.


Let’s read a few verses in Job 38. GOD was speaking to Job. GOD asks Job many questions leading up to our focus scripture. Job had suffered greatly. GOD had allowed Satan to strike Job – him and his family both financially, and physically. Job sought GOD for answers, comfort and help. Job was desperate to hear from GOD. Job does not hear from GOD until Chapter 38. 

When GOD does speak to Job, one would think since Job had remained faithful to GOD, that GOD would speak words of comfort to Job.


When GOD spoke in Chapter 38, HE offered little in words of comfort to Job. GOD’S tone was direct, challenging and without apology. When GOD spoke to Job it was as a Judge questioning a witness. GOD did not reveal to Job that he was the subject of a duel between GOD and Satan.


GOD directed a question to Job in Job 38:2 as we read on ----


Let’s read Job 38:1-7 for background:

The Lord Speaks


38 Then the Lord answered Job from the whirlwind. He said:

Who is this who obscures my counsel
with ignorant words?



GOD asks Job a probing question. In essence, GOD was saying, “Job, take a step back and consider it is not why but who? And the answer to that question is GOD and not Job. Job could not understand GOD or figure GOD out. What he had to do was to trust GOD.



Scripture in Isaiah 55:8-9 gives us a clue into GOD’S wisdom:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
and your ways are not my ways.”
This is the Lord’s declaration.
“For as heaven is higher than earth,
so my ways are higher than your ways,
and my thoughts than your thoughts.



Why trust GOD? GOD’S perspective is beyond our human perspective. Second Chronicles 16:9a:

For the eyes of the Lord roam throughout the earth to show himself strong for those who are wholeheartedly devoted to him.



Back to Job 38:3-8: (GOD was speaking to Job)


Get ready to answer me like a man;
when I question you, you will inform me.
Where were you when I established the earth?
Tell me, if you have[
a] understanding.
Who fixed its dimensions? Certainly, you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
What supports its foundations?
Or who laid its cornerstone
while the morning stars sang together
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?



GOD’S questions lead Job to ponder GOD’S ability and provision versus man’s/Job.

Let’s read Job 40:1-5:

40 The Lord answered Job:

Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
Let him who argues with God give an answer.[
a]



The “LORD” is “Yahweh.” GOD spoke to Job in a questioning tone because Job wanted to take GOD to court. The word “contends” carries the idea of “dispute.” The word “correct” carries the idea of “to straighten out” or “to instruct.” In essence, Job wanted to straighten GOD out.

I can relate. Certainly, my journey with our LORD does not compare to Job’s but there were times when I told GOD that when I get to Heaven there were a few things I needed to discuss with HIM.

A number of years ago, I was asked to consider teaching “Experiencing GOD.” My wife and I took the course together. I began my study by telling GOD I had a few things I needed to place before HIM that I did not agree with. I would be totally honest with HIM and I wanted HIM to be honest with me.

I can tell you, “Over the course, I revealed all the questions and grievances before GOD and I did not win.” GOD desires for HIS Children to be honest with HIM because HE already knows our hearts. Job revealed his heart to GOD.

It is much like when a child wants to be the parent. When the child realizes that he or she can learn from the parent, a right relationship emerges and a new dynamic takes place in his or her relationship with the parent(s).

In essence, GOD was saying to Job, “Are you trying to tell me what to do? If so, then have at it!” How did Job respond as we read on ----?

Then Job answered the Lord:

I am so insignificant. How can I answer you?
I place my hand over my mouth.

I have spoken once, and I will not reply;
twice, but now I can add nothing.



Again, in essence Job said, “LORD, I fully understand that YOU are sovereign and compared to YOU, I am insignificant. I realize that I have already said too much and I will shut up. I will keep my mouth shut and listen to YOU.



You know when we argue with GOD, it is when we shut up and listen that is when HE speaks to us and healing and understanding can take place. In Psalm 46:10 - 10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.



Often when GOD is silent, we think HE is absent or disinterested in what we are experiencing. In Deuteronomy 31:6:

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”



When we have the right relationship with GOD, we are confident in HIM in all things. But this is something that we learn as we walk with our LORD on the road of life. We build the sweet assurance that HE is with us and we can call upon HIM for whatever we need.

Job was saying, I will keep my mouth shut because YOU are sovereign.

Let’s read Job 40:6-8:

Then the Lord answered Job from the whirlwind:

Get ready to answer me like a man;
When I question you, you will inform me.

Would you really challenge my justice?
Would you declare me guilty to justify yourself?



Why did GOD answer Job from a whirlwind?



Job questioned GOD’S sovereignty. GOD spoke to Elijah in a still small voice but HE spoke to Job from a whirlwind or tornado. Do you think GOD chooses the way HE speaks to us is based upon our attitude toward HIM?



GOD was challenging Job to stop and think about WHO he/Job was questioning. There are times when we get too big for our britches, so-to-speak. This was such a time in the life of Job and GOD corrected him. HE spoke to Job from a whirlwind to get his attention and to reveal HIS sovereign power to Job.



This was GOD’S way to get Job’s attention and to put him in his proper place. This was GOD’S teaching moment for Job. GOD had to first get Job’s undivided attention. GOD told Job that HE had created things including the creatures that roamed the earth. GOD knew how to run the world and HE did not need to explain Himself to mankind, especially to a person who was not in right relationship with HIM.



When we are in right relationship with GOD through faith in JESUS, as HIS Children, we can probe the depths of the deepest sea or ascend to the highest mountains. Why? It is because we know when to wait upon the LORD. We may need to grow Spiritually before we can comprehend and understand what GOD has for those who love HIM. HIS timing is always perfect.



GOD told Job to be prepared to respond to HIM as a man. In essence, “Job get ready because you asked for it and I AM going to let you have it with both barrels.” Was GOD mad at Job? No! GOD wanted Job to know that HE is GOD and HE is sovereign. Would Job declare GOD guilty to justify himself.



How did Job respond to GOD? Let’s read on -----



Let’s read Job 42:1-6:

Job Replies to the Lord

42 Then Job replied to the Lord:

I[a] know that you can do anything
and no plan of yours can be thwarted.
You asked, “Who is this who conceals my counsel with ignorance?”
Surely I spoke about things I did not understand,
things too wondrous for me to
[b] know.
You said, “Listen now, and I will speak.
When I question you, you will inform me.”
I had heard reports about you,
but now my eyes have seen you.
Therefore, I reject my words and am sorry for them;
I am dust and ashes
.[c][d]

GOD needs to straighten us out on occasions. When HE gets our attention that is the beginning of understanding. Job confirmed that he/Job must concede and consider matters from GOD’S perspective, vantage point and wisdom.

Many of us build false notions about GOD. We build GOD according to our own perspective based upon who we think GOD should be. When we do and HE fails to measure up to our concept of GOD, our faith crumbles.

JESUS said it best in Matthew 7:24-29:

24 “Therefore, everyone who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain fell, the rivers rose, and the winds blew and pounded that house. Yet it didn’t collapse, because its foundation was on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and doesn’t act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 The rain fell, the rivers rose, the winds blew and pounded that house, and it collapsed. It collapsed with a great crash.”

28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were astonished at his teaching, 29 because he was teaching them like one who had authority, and not like their scribes.

Every person must examine the foundation he or she is building his or her faith upon. Is it upon the solid rock of faith in JESUS as their Savior or upon the sands of false notions? How do we know the difference?

Born-again Christians have the Holy Spirit as their teacher WHO helps them sort truth from fiction and delightful/feel-good notions. Truth comes from reading and studying GOD’S Word, the Bible and seeking truth as we all build the right relationship with GOD through prayer and putting into practice what HE is teaching us. Every Christian must have an ongoing, active, personal relationship with GOD.

It is through this relationship that GOD constantly teaches HIS children truth. Psalm 46:10:
10 “Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!”


The Apostle Paul thought he was doing the will of GOD by rounding up all the Christians. The resurrected JESUS had to set him straight as he traveled on the road to Damascus. Notice in Acts 26:14-15:

14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutes thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutes. (KJV)

The Apostle Paul thought he was doing the will of GOD until he encountered JESUS and began to build upon the solid foundation of JESUS.

What are you building upon, solid rock or shifting sand? What do you want to build upon? What questions do you have for GOD? Then talk to HIM like a man or woman, then read HIS Word and pray and watch as HE answers them all over time. The key is to be honest with GOD.

JESUS said in Matthew 7:7-12:

“Ask, and it will be given to you. Seek, and you will find. Knock, and the door[a] will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Who among you, if his son (or daughter) asks him for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him. 12 Therefore, whatever you want others to do for you, do also the same for them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

The words JESUS used were ‘when you ask “keep om asking,” when you seek, “keep on seeking,” and when you knock keep on “knocking.” Why? I have found that discovery of GOD’S truth is like mining for precious gems or metals; you have to remove a lot of dirt before the genuine is revealed. So do not give up in building your right relationship with GOD through faith in JESUS. JESUS is a person’s only connection to GOD. JESUS willingly gave HIS sinless life to pay, in full, the death penalty imposed by GOD onto all humans because of sin.

The Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 6:23: 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Place your faith and trust in JESUS now because eternity is just one heartbeat away. Blessings!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home