Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Bible Study - Tough Questions (6) - What Proof Does My Testimony Offer? Acts 26 - January 5, 2020


Bible Study – Tough Questions (6) – What Proof Does My Testimony Offer? – January 5, 2020

This is lesson six (6) and our last lesson in our series entitled “Answers to Tough Questions.”


Our focus scripture is Acts 26:2-5, 12-18, 24-26.


It’s hard to ignore a changed life.


When Christians are witnessing to others about coming to a saving knowledge of JESUS your personal testimony is one of the most powerful tools you can use. People can argue the Bible but it is hard for them to argue with “I was once a sinner destined for Hell when I surrendered my life/heart to JESUS. I asked JESUS to forgive me for all my sins believing that HE gave HIS sinless life upon the cross for my sins by shedding HIS blood.


Many are taught the Roman road to salvation, which is:

Romans 3:23 - 23 For all have sinned and fall short of the[r] glory of God.

Romans 6:23 - 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 5:8 - But God proves his own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 10:8-10 - On the contrary, what does it say? The message is near you, in your mouth and in your heart. This is the message of faith that we proclaim: If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 One believes with the heart, resulting in righteousness, and one confesses with the mouth, resulting in salvation.


In Christian Business Men’s Committee (CBMC), we are encouraged to prepare our testimony. We are to have a 2-3 minutes version such as to be able to share it as we ride on an elevator and a 15-20-minute version to present in a meeting of CBMC, church or where GOD provides the opportunity.


The structure for our testimony is based upon the Apostle Paul’s outline presented in Acts 26. Let’s explore!


Pray each day for GOD to give you the opportunity to share your testimony. 
Practice giving your testimony the short version and the longer version.


Let’s read Acts 26:1: Paul had permission to share before his audience.

Paul’s Defense before Agrippa – King Agrippa II, his sister Bernice and Festus, Roman procurator. Festus asked Paul if he was willing to go to Jerusalem to stand trial; Paul being a Roman citizen appealed to stand before Caesar. However, Paul used this opportunity to present JESUS.

26 Agrippa said to Paul, “You have permission to speak for yourself.”

Then Paul stretched out his hand and began his defense:

Paul’s Account of His Conversion and Commission – Paul gave a brief account of his life before he became a Christian. (Do not dwell on your sinful life but tell of some of your past life before becoming a Christian.)

Let’s read Acts 26:2-5:

“I consider myself fortunate, that it is before you, King Agrippa, I am to make my defense today against all the accusations of the Jews, especially since you are very knowledgeable about all the Jewish customs and controversies. Therefore, I beg you to listen to me patiently.

“All the Jews know my way of life from my youth, which was spent from the beginning among my own people and in Jerusalem. They have known me for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that according to the strictest sect of our religion I lived as a Pharisee.


Present some of your past life before you accepted JESUS as your Savior. You may include your search for truth or how you rejected truth or didn’t care to know truth.


Let’s read Acts 26:6-11: Paul reveals more regarding his involvement in persecuting Christians before his conversion.


And now I stand on trial because of the hope in what God promised to our ancestors, the promise our twelve tribes hope to reach as they earnestly serve him night and day. King Agrippa, I am being accused by the Jews because of this hope. Why do any of you consider it incredible that God raises the dead? In fact, I myself was convinced that it was necessary to do many things in opposition to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. 10 I actually did this in Jerusalem, and I locked up many of the saints in prison, since I had received authority for that from the chief priests. When they were put to death, I was in agreement against them. 11 In all the synagogues I often punished them and tried to make them blaspheme. Since I was terribly enraged at them, I pursued them even to foreign cities.

Let’s read Acts 26:12-18: Paul shares his salvation/conversion experience.

12 “I was traveling to Damascus under these circumstances with authority and a commission from the chief priests. 13 King Agrippa, while on the road at midday, I saw a light from heaven brighter than the sun, shining around me and those traveling with me. 14 We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice speaking to me in Aramaic,[a] ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’

Paul was focused upon eliminating this Christian movement called “The Way” because it threatened his Jewish beliefs. JESUS had been resurrected and was in Heaven but HE had a purpose for Paul. JESUS has a purpose for you and your life.

15 “I asked, ‘Who are you, Lord?’

“And the Lord replied: ‘I am Jesus, the one you are persecuting. 16 But get up and stand on your feet. For I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you as a servant and a witness of what you have seen and will see of me. 17 I will rescue you from your people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18 to open their eyes so that they may turn[b] from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a share among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’



Let’s read Acts 26:19-23: Paul presented how his life had changed since he had become a Christian. Do you recall the event when JESUS healed the blind man since his birth found in John 9? When he met JESUS, his life changed dramatically. Darkness was displayed by light/truth. So did Paul’s life change when he encountered JESUS on the road to Damascus. Your life changed when you encountered JESUS as your Savior. It could have been dramatic or like the rising of the sun in early morning, a little at the time over years or I accepted JESUS when I was a child and have grown in my relationship with HIM. As a born-again believer you have a testimony.


19 “So then, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision. 20 Instead, I preached to those in Damascus first, and to those in Jerusalem and in all the region of Judea, and to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works worthy of repentance. 21 For this reason the Jews seized me in the temple and were trying to kill me. 22 To this very day, I have had help from God, and I stand and testify to both small and great, saying nothing other than what the prophets and Moses said would take place— 23 that the Messiah must suffer, and that, as the first to rise from the dead, he would proclaim light to our people and to the Gentiles.”



Let’s read Acts 26:24-26: When possible always give the opportunity for the person to whom you are witnessing the opportunity to receive JESUS as his or her Savior.

Agrippa Not Quite Persuaded

24 As he was saying these things in his defense, Festus exclaimed in a loud voice, “You’re out of your mind, Paul! Too much study is driving you mad.”

25 But Paul replied, “I’m not out of my mind, most excellent Festus. On the contrary, I’m speaking words of truth and good judgment. 26 For the king knows about these matters, and I can speak boldly to him. For I am convinced that none of these things has escaped his notice, since this was not done in a corner.

Always treat your audience of one or multitudes with respect.  



Let’s read Acts 26:27-32: Final Closing – Ask for a commitment to accept JESUS as Savior:

27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you believe.”

28 Agrippa said to Paul, “Are you going to persuade me to become a Christian so easily?” [c]

29 “I wish before God,” replied Paul, “that whether easily or with difficulty,[d] not only you but all who listen to me today might become as I am—except for these chains.”

30 The king, the governor, Bernice, and those sitting with them got up, 31 and when they had left, they talked with each other and said, “This man is not doing anything to deserve death or imprisonment.”

32 Agrippa said to Festus, “This man could have been released if he had not appealed to Caesar.”

Here is where you can use the Roman road to salvation or ask the person(s) to pray and ask JESUS to forgive him or her for his or her sins and for JESUS to come into his or her heart.

CHRIST in you is what makes a person a Christian!


Once a person asks JESUS into his or her heart the miracle of Spiritual rebirth takes place in an instant. The person is a Spiritual baby and needs the milk of the Word to nourish him or her. He or she needs to get into a Bible teaching/believing church or group so he or she can be Spiritually fed and build Spiritual muscles by putting into practice what the Holy Spirit is teaching and revealing.


What is your testimony? Sharpen it up and use it when GOD gives you opportunity. Don’t be surprised if you include points you had not considered in your testimony. Trust the Holy Spirit to include what the person or group to whom you are speaking needs to hear.


Satan will attempt to discourage you from preparing your testimony or when you give it to make you think you blew it. Do NOT Allow that to happen to you. Your testimony is a powerful tool in GOD’S quiver. All are lost in sin with no way out until JESUS comes into our lives. Christians are Spiritually born-again into GOD’S Family and led by HIS indwelling Holy Spirit! Keep in your mind, it is the attitude of our heart toward JESUS. Salvation has come to those who simply say, “LORD I give up, please come into my heart” and quicker than the thought, they are Spiritually born into GOD’s Family. Blessings!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home