Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Friday, March 08, 2019

Bible Study - Wisdom (2) - The Problem with Pleasure - Ecclesiastes 2:1-11 - March 10, 2019


Bible Study – Wisdom (2) – The Problem with Pleasure – March 10, 2019


This is lesson two (2) in our series entitled “Finding Meaning: Wisdom from Ecclesiastes.”


Our focus scripture is Ecclesiastes 2:1-11.


Pleasures and possessions don’t offer lasting joy.


Our world thrives on pleasure and getting more possessions. King Solomon had it all but what did he learn by having it all? Let’s explore!


In last week’s study, in Ecclesiastes 1-2: 1 The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem: 2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. “Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.”

3 What do people gain from all their labors at which they toil under the sun?

Shortly after Solomon was crowned king, GOD asked him a very important question as recorded in 1 King 3:5-15:



5 At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.”

6 Solomon answered, “You have shown great kindness to your servant, my father David, because he was faithful to you and righteous and upright in heart. You have continued this great kindness to him and have given him a son to sit on his throne this very day.

7 “Now, LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties.

8 Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number.

9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?”

10 The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this.

11 So God said to him, “Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice,

12 I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be.

13 Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both wealth and honor—so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings.

14 And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.”

15 Then Solomon awoke—and he realized it had been a dream. He returned to Jerusalem, stood before the ark of the Lord’s covenant and sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings. Then he gave a feast for all his court.



We read that GOD went beyond Solomon’s request. Our response to questions reveals much about our heart, when we respond honestly.



When King Solomon references the word “myself,” he is referring to his heart or the inner most part of his being or the Apostle Paul wrote “the eyes of our heart.” This is where truth resides.



Let’s read Ecclesiastes 2:1-3:


1 I said to myself, “Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good.” But that also proved to be meaningless.

2Laughter,” I said, “is madness. And what does pleasure accomplish?”

3 I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly—my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was good for people to do under the heavens during the few days of their lives.



King Solomon decided to conduct an experiment. He would be the guinea pig. He planned to determine if the pleasures the world offered were sustainable. Sustainable to what? Was he using GOD as the standard for comparison?



What are these pleasures? Can he judge fairly? He stated, “I said to myself.” Myself is a reference to his heart. He approached this experience with complete confidence that when the experiment concluded he would know the answer. So, what will he test? He will test “pleasure” and “laughter.” Laughter often accompanies pleasure.



What did he conclude? Pleasure was meaningless and laughter was madness. We see this depicted in many ads attempting to show an example of the good life. These ads fail to show the heartache that can occur when people get caught up in of these social depictions.



Laughter suggests the idea of fun and relaxion. But when we are afraid what do we do? Have you heard the statement, “whistling past the graveyard?” We may whistle in scary situations to help us keep our minds off something bad happening. Laughter can also be a diversion of insecurity. Laughter can be faked.



Then Solomon tried wine and embraced folly. He stated that even when he imbibed, his mind was focused upon wisdom of his actions and what followed as a result. After all, he was a researcher and life is short.



We do not know, but was he trying to justify the things he was doing? We read about the things he tried in a few sentences but we need to realize that these experiments covered long periods of time as we read on ----.



Let’s read Ecclesiastes 2:4-8:

4 I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards.

5 I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them.

6 I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees.

7 I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me.

8 I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired male and female singers, and a harem as well—the delights of a man’s heart.



Again, we read about these time-consuming projects e.g. houses, buildings, vineyards, gardens, fruit trees. He had reservoirs and cisterns built to gather water both for drinking and watering these gardens, fruit trees and flowering trees.



All of these creations require people to maintain them. These servants need housing and food. Solomon had plenty of servants both male and female in order to maintain his servant population. He had to have plenty of food, thus he had herds and flocks. Generally, they used the products produced by an animal e.g. cheese and the wool.



Solomon amassed huge amounts of gold and silver. Silver was considered of low value because gold was so plentiful. Solomon had more wealth than he knew what to do with because the surrounding kingdoms that his father, David, had subdued sent tribute to David.



Solomon brought in male and female singers/entertainers, a harem which gave opportunity to appeal to the “delights of a man’s heart.”



Yes, Solomon had it all but his freedom led to GOD being very displeased with him. Keep in mind that this experiment took time and GOD was not included. Was Solomon being a positive representative for GOD compromised?



Notice the number of times “I” was used in these scripture passages.



Let’s read Ecclesiastes 2:9-11:

9 I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.

10 I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my labor, and this was the reward for all my toil.

11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.



Solomon reached his goal. He was more prosperous than anyone before him. He set a high bar should anyone try to outdo him.



Yes, through it all Solomon maintained his wisdom or did he because true wisdom comes from GOD. He did it all and he enjoyed every minute of it. In fact, his heart delighted in it.



When he considered all that he had done he felt fulfilled but when the dust settled, he came to the conclusion that it was all meaningless and empty. It was like chasing the wind. Yes, he had accomplished much but once he accomplished his objective, it was of little value to him and their contribution to mankind.



What was missing?



There is no mention of GOD. But we do know that Solomon had altars established to satisfy his foreign wives. He had accumulated 700 wives and 300 concubines.



Solomon was looking back over a lifetime of achievements. Yes, the achievements were spectacular but they had no lasting effect. He considered that he had chased the wind. Did he realize that he should have spent his time worshipping GOD and building the right relationship with HIM and leading others to build the right relationship with GOD? Did he realize that he could have lived such that his life would have been a testimony to the one true GOD of the Israelite’s and in doing so what he had done would transcend life upon earth? After all wisdom comes from GOD but it must be applied by putting it into action.  



As King David faced his last moments upon earth, he gave Solomon some advice as recorded in 1 Kings 2:1-4:



1 When the time drew near for David to die, he gave a charge to Solomon his son.

2 “I am about to go the way of all the earth,” he said. “So be strong, act like a man,

3 and observe what the LORD your God requires: Walk in obedience to him, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and regulations, as written in the Law of Moses. Do this so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go

4 and that the LORD may keep his promise to me: ‘If your descendants watch how they live, and if they walk faithfully before me with all their heart and soul, you will never fail to have a successor on the throne of Israel.



Will we learn from Solomon? Will we focus upon that which has lasting value or that which is like chasing the wind? Placing one’s faith in JESUS as your Savior is the beginning of wisdom. It is a starting point. If you are already a Christian but have not been living for JESUS, then confess and repent. Rededicate your life to JESUS and start obediently serving HIM. HE has not moved, HE loves you and HIS desire is for you to obediently serve HIM. What we do in obedience to GOD’S commands transcends earthly treasure to heavenly treasure. Wisdom comes from GOD.



Blessings!!!








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home