Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Bible Study - Relationships Collide - Stand Your Ground - Galatians 2:1-14 - November 3, 2013


Bible Study – Relationships Collide – Stand Your Ground – November 3, 2013.

This is our fourth lesson in our series entitled “When Relationships Collide: Thriving in the Midst of Conflict.”

Our scripture is Galatians 2:1-14.

Most of us want to avoid conflict but there are times in our lives when we must stand our ground. Our lesson today is just such a situation. When it comes to the Biblical principles regarding the Christian faith, Christians must stand firm on truth.

The point of this lesson is to “never compromise when it is a matter of biblical right and wrong.”

Galatians 1:1-24: (Background)

Greeting

1 Paul, an apostle —not from men or by man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead— 2 and all the • brothers who are with me: To the churches of Galatia. 3 Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave Himself for our sins to rescue us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father. 5 To whom be the glory forever and ever. • Amen.

No Other Gospel

6 I am amazed that you are so quickly turning away from Him who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another gospel, but there are some who are troubling you and want to change the good news about the • Messiah . 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel other than what we have preached to you, a curse be on him! 9 As we have said before, I now say again: If anyone preaches to you a gospel contrary to what you received, a curse be on him! 10 For am I now trying to win the favor of people, or God? Or am I striving to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a • slave of Christ.

Paul Defends His Apostleship

11 Now I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel preached by me is not based on human thought. 12 For I did not receive it from a human source and I was not taught it, but it came by a revelation from Jesus Christ. 13 For you have heard about my former way of life in Judaism: I persecuted God’s church to an extreme degree and tried to destroy it. 14 I advanced in Judaism beyond many contemporaries among my people, because I was extremely zealous for the traditions of my ancestors. 15 But when God, who from my birth set me apart and called me by His grace, was pleased 16 to reveal His Son in me, so that I could preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone. 17 I did not go up to Jerusalem to those who had become apostles before me; instead I went to Arabia and came back to Damascus. 18 Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to get to know • Cephas (Peter), and I stayed with him 15 days. 19 But I didn’t see any of the other apostles except James, the Lord’s brother. 20 Now I am not lying in what I write to you. God is my witness. 21 Afterward, I went to the regions of Syria and Cilicia. 22 I remained personally unknown to the Judean churches in Christ; 23 they simply kept hearing: “He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith he once tried to destroy.” 24 And they glorified God because of me.

There was trouble brewing among some of the Christians in Galatia regarding Gentiles becoming Christians. The Apostle Paul began his letter to the Christians in Galatia by stating his faith in CHRIST and his appointment as an apostle by CHRIST. The key is that the Holy Spirit was Paul’s teacher. The Holy Spirit teaches, enlightens, reveals, assures, comforts and empowers all true Christians. After Paul’s conversion experience on the road to Damascus, he took time to meet with the Apostle Peter and the half-brother of JESUS, James. It seems to me that Paul was thoroughly evaluating his new life in CHRIST. His conversion experience was not a flash in the pan so-to-speak. Paul had been trained by the best teacher in the Jewish laws, commandments, customs and rituals. Paul had experienced a dramatic conversion experience on the road to Damascus and it needed to be internalized.

Some Judaizers had infiltrated the Christian churches in Galatia. Judaizers were false Jewish-Christian teachers who were preaching that accepting CHRIST by faith was not enough for salvation for the Gentile converts. The gentile convert had to first become a Jewish proselyte and follow the law, rules and regulations and be circumcised according to the Jewish religion before they could become a Christian. The Apostle Paul immediately made it clear to the Christians in Galatia that such teaching was contrary to GOD’S plan and purpose of salvation through faith in CHRIST.  

It is CHRIST in you that make you a Christian and not ceremonies and rituals. HIS shed blood and the grace of GOD are sufficient to cancel all of your sin – past, present and future. At the instant of salvation, all Christians receive the indwelling Holy Spirit. Only true born-again believers in CHRIST receive the indwelling Holy Spirit Who enlightens, confirms, teaches, assures and sustains those who place their faith in CHRIST. GOD gives special manifestations of HIS presence through the Holy Spirit as gifts of the Holy Spirit to meet specific needs.

Here is a delicate point. I have to rely upon my journey as a Christian. I made a profession of faith in CHRIST at the age of 9-10 years old. It was a definite moment in my life but I did not understand what I had done. I knew that something had taken place in my life. As I grew physically, I was never sure I was a Christian. I went to church and when I was in college I met with a group of Christians to study the Bible. I had never been baptized. So I was baptized because it was the thing to do.  Life continued but I was never sure of my salvation. At the age of 34, my wife and I were meeting with several couples to fellowship and discuss the Bible. The lives of the couples began to change as they committed their lives to CHRIST. I saw a change in their lives that I needed. They seemed to have a genuine relationship with CHRIST, which I did not have and wanted.  

I tried to have this relationship by living the Christian life as I thought it should be lived and in my strength but I failed. On Sundays, after being with Christian brothers and sisters and worshipping, I would get pumped up and ready to tackle the week living for CHRIST but in my strength. Toward the end of the week my halo was around my feet, so-to-speak. This went on for a number of weeks until one day when driving to work in 1971, I was praying and told the LORD that I had tried to live the Christian life and could not do it. I asked HIM to take my life like it was and for HIM to give me the strength to live the Christian life – In a flash HE took it. Now the question is when did I become a Christian? I believe it was when I was 9-10 years old. Although I was never sure, my step of faith then secured me but I did not experience the power of the Holy Spirit in my life until I committed my life to HIM at the age of 34. Has my life been free of problems since 1971?  No, but there has never been a moment I doubted my salvation since 1971.

The Apostle Paul reviewed and established his credentials for being qualified to address the problem with false teachers and teaching. He began to address the false message of the Judaizers regarding the salvation of gentile Christians. 

Let’s explore.

Let’s read Galatians 2:1-5:

Paul Defends His Gospel at Jerusalem

1 Then after 14 years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also. 2 I went up according to a revelation and presented to them the gospel I preach among the Gentiles —but privately to those recognized as leaders—so that I might not be running, or have run the race, in vain. 3 But not even Titus who was with me, though he was a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised. 4 This issue arose because of false brothers smuggled in, who came in secretly to spy on the freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, in order to enslave us. 5 But we did not give up and submit to these people for even an hour, so that the truth of the gospel would be preserved for you.

Since the issue dealt with Gentiles becoming Christians, Paul began his teaching using Titus, a gentile Christian, as an example. It is not clear if Paul was referring to his first visit to Jerusalem after his conversion or another time 14 years earlier. The point being that he took Titus, a Gentile who had placed his faith in JESUS, to Jerusalem and met with the leaders of the Christian church. The Christian leaders in Jerusalem did not make an issue over Titus being a gentile Christian based upon faith alone. Paul had taken Barnabas with him as a witness to what had taken place in Jerusalem. Barnabas confirmed that a gentile did not have to be a Jewish proselyte before becoming a Christian. Paul revealed to the Christian leaders in Jerusalem the message of CHRIST he had been preaching and teaching to the Gentiles. The Christian leaders knew that Titus had not been circumcised and they did not raise that as an issue for Titus becoming a Christian by faith.

Paul discussed this in a private meeting with the leaders of the churches in Galatia. (Verse 2)

In verse 4, Paul reminded the Christians in Galatia that the issue regarding gentiles came about as the result of false brothers.  Paul was pointing out that Judaizers had been secretly smuggled into their midst in an effort to understand what being a Christian was all about. Who orchestrated this secret invasion is not known. We know that those who do not have the indwelling Holy Spirit cannot comprehend or understand what being a true Christian is. Christianity cannot be intellectually discerned.

As I stated earlier, I received CHRIST as my Savior about the age of 10 years old but I never comprehended salvation and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit until I committed my life to CHRIST at the age of 34. I tried to understand it intellectually but it was impossible.

The Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 8:15-16:

15 For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry out, “• Abba, Father!” 16 The Spirit Himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God’s children,

Intellectuals try to figure Christianity out but it is impossible and as a result, they come up with all sorts of distortions and false doctrine. Christianity is very simple. It is CHRIST in you by placing your faith in HIM. It is not mouthing the words. It is a matter of the heart. Step one to salvation is when we recognize and acknowledge that we are sinners as Paul stated in Romans 3:23:

23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Step two is Romans 6:23:

23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Step three is Romans 5:8:

8 But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us!

Step four is Romans 10:8-10:

8 On the contrary, what does it say? The message is near you, in your mouth and in your heart. This is the message of faith that we proclaim: 9 If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 One believes with the heart, resulting in righteousness, and one confesses with the mouth, resulting in salvation.

This is often referred to as the Roman road to salvation. It is not about saying just the right words but it is about the heart. Do we really want to have a personal, intimate relationship with GOD? If so, the only way to GOD is through HIS only Son, JESUS CHRIST. We must confess that we are sinners, ask CHRIST to forgive us for our sins and ask HIM to come into our lives and mean it. That act of faith results in the miracle of rebirth in your spirit. You become a child of GOD, receive eternal life and become a citizen of heaven. Just as when you were born to your parents you will never become unborn and neither will you lose your salvation once received. Salvation is ground zero and from that point it is growing and maturing Spiritually in CHRIST as you allow HIM to lead and guide your life.  

In verse 5, Paul confirmed that he and the leaders stood firm and did not compromise because placing your faith in CHRIST is solid ground.

Sadly, we live in a world that is compromising the message of salvation through CHRIST. There are other religions in the world but CHRIST is the only ONE sent down from GOD, HIS Father to give HIS life for all who will place their faith in HIM. There are two major facts. As proof that JESUS was Who HE said HE was is that GOD raised HIM from the dead, over 500 people saw HIM after HIS resurrection. HE was on earth for forty days and HE ascended back into heaven. After HE sat down at the right hand of GOD, GOD sent the Holy Spirit back to indwell all who place their faith in CHRIST.

The Holy Spirit is the down payment or security deposit given to all who place their faith in CHRIST to assure them that their faith in CHRIST is real and can be relied upon. This cannot be figured out intellectually. It is a matter of the heart. It takes a step of faith. If you have not taken that step, I ask you to take it right now. Eternity is but a heartbeat away. That is not to frighten you but it is a fact.

Let’s read Galatians 2:6-10: (Find Consensus Among the Leaders.)

6 Now from those recognized as important (what they really were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism)—they added nothing to me. 7 On the contrary, they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel for the uncircumcised, just as Peter was for the circumcised, 8 since the One at work in Peter for an apostleship to the circumcised was also at work in me for the Gentiles. 9 When James, • Cephas (Peter), and John, recognized as pillars, acknowledged the grace that had been given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to me and Barnabas, agreeing that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. 10 They asked only that we would remember the poor, which I made every effort to do.

We do not know who these important Judaizers were. Some Bible scholars speculate that they were Pharisees. The bottom line, whoever they were, they did not change Paul’s conviction and message of salvation. They acknowledged that Paul had been entrusted with the gospel message to the gentiles and that Peter had been entrusted with the gospel for the Jewish Christians. The message of salvation from Paul or Peter was the same.

Paul acknowledged that James, the half-brother of JESUS, Peter and John were the pillars of Christianity and they acknowledged that grace had been given to Paul by extending to him and Barnabas their right hand of fellowship. This signified the unity, harmony and agreement that the message of salvation through faith in CHRIST had been entrusted to them.

The only request the pillars of Christianity asked was for Paul and his group to remember the poor, which Paul did.

Let’s read Galatians 2:11-14: (The Power of Peer Pressure.)

Freedom from the Law

11 But when Cephas (Peter) came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face because he stood condemned. 12 For he regularly ate with the Gentiles before certain men came from James. However, when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, because he feared those from the circumcision party. 13 Then the rest of the Jews joined his hypocrisy, so that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they were deviating from the truth of the gospel, I told Cephas in front of everyone, “If you, who are a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel Gentiles to live like Jews?” 15 We who are Jews by birth and not “Gentile sinners” 16 know that no one is • justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ. And we have believed in Christ Jesus so that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no human being will be justified. 17 But if we ourselves are also found to be “sinners” while seeking to be justified by Christ, is Christ then a promoter of sin? Absolutely not! 18 If I rebuild the system I tore down, I show myself to be a lawbreaker. 19 For through the law I have died to the law, so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ 20 and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing.

The Apostle Paul confronts the Apostle Peter about being a hypocrite. The Apostle Peter came to Antioch and ate with the gentiles but when a delegation sent to Antioch by James, Peter, all of a sudden, became kosher. This did not set well with Paul. Such action by Peter revealed he embraced the Jewish rituals and ceremonies which were not a part of being a Christian. It sent the wrong message to the Gentile Christians.

Breaking away from tradition is very difficult even today. This is especially true of those in the Jewish religion and several Christian religions. Keep in mind that here I refer to religion which is man-made. Yes, a Christian can attend a denomination where truth is taught, just keep in mind that it is CHRIST in him/her that makes the person a Christian and not the religious institution.

In verse 13, we see the results of Peter’s actions. The other Jews followed Peter’s lead. Christians must know where they stand. Often they are the only gospel others will ever read, so-to-speak. Even Barnabas was influenced by Peter’s action.

Was Paul out of line to confront Peter openly?  Peter did what he did openly and, therefore, Paul had the right to address the actions of Peter openly. Today, we don’t want to create a disturbance. Often, we are unsure of the Biblical principle involved.

Once Paul saw what was happening, he took action by confronting Peter. He scolded Peter by asking him a question “If you, who are a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel Gentiles to live like Jews?” Then he answers the question in verses 15-21.

Paul stood firm and knew that consistency was vital. It is not consistently supporting something that is wrong but consistently supporting that which is solid. Paul saw the fallacy in a person trying to achieve salvation by his/her efforts. If it was possible to achieve salvation on your own, then CHRIST came to earth, lived a sinless life and gave HIS life in vain. But the fact is that CHRIST is the only way to GOD.

JESUS said it best in John 14:6:

6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

We are living in a day when we, as Christians, must stand our ground. I never thought I would live to see the day when being a Christian was under attack in America. Christianity cannot be understood intellectually. It can only be understood once a person has truly taken the step of faith and received CHRIST as his or her Savior and experienced the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

When the opportunity is given to us, as Christians, will we stand our ground based upon Biblical facts? It is important that Christians know GOD’S Word and internalize it so that when the storms of life come they will stand firm on the solid foundation of CHRIST. Every Christian must build upon their Spiritual house on the rock of CHRIST. When Christians build their spiritual foundation upon the sands of the world ideology, their foundation will be swept away when the storms come and their spiritual house will fall. When Christians build their Spiritual foundation upon the solid rock of CHRIST and the storms of life come, their Spiritual house will stand. Ponder these things and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal truth to you and stand your ground. Blessings!!!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home