Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bible Study - Pressure Points - The Pressure of Trials - James 1:1-4 - September 1, 2013


Bible Study – Pressure Points – The Pressure of Trials – September 1, 2013

This is lesson one in our series entitled “Pressure Points.”

Our scripture is James 1:1-4.

For the next six weeks we will be studying the Book of James.

Just because you are a Christian it does not mean you are free of stress, temptation, trials, sin, tragedy and all the problems of being a human. If a Christian does drugs he or she will get hooked and will suffer the consequences and the list goes on. Satan is ready to ensnare any person who steps into his trap but he especially delights in ensnaring a Christian.  Satan’s goal is to defeat and destroy every human. GOD gives us guidelines designed to keep us out of trouble but life has many pressures. Being a Christian in relationship with GOD through CHRIST can give you the strength to get through the tough times encountered in life. Being a Christian does not exempt you from the pressures, trials and temptations of life.

The Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 8:26:

28 We know that all things work together (j) for the good (k) of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose. (l)

GOD is in all things in the lives of Christians or those who will become Christians to bring about the best that can come from situations they get into. If they break the law of man or the law of GOD, they will have to suffer the consequence. Yet, GOD is at work in their lives to bring about the best that can be brought about under the circumstances.

Tough times can be the result of the choices we make or situations over which we have no control. As we get closer to the return of JESUS, the Bible reveals that we will see an increase in false teachers, preachers and leaders who will give a perverted, yet close to the truth witness, of salvation and living the Christian life. The deception will be so slick that even the elect, those who know the truth, will come close to being deceived.

JESUS spoke of this as recorded in Matthew 24:24:

 24 False messiahs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. 

I recall teaching the Book of James many years ago and prayed, “LORD, I want to be a mature Christian.” Well, I thought that GOD would sprinkle me with Holy Dust and wham-o –jam-o; I would instantly be made Spiritually mature. Well, I can tell you, it does not happen like that or at least HE did not do it that way in my life. GOD cleaned my clock, so-to-speak. HE cleared the spiritual table of my life because I had many false notions that needed to be cleaned out of my life. I had false notions about CHRIST, Who HE was and what HE was all about in life and in the lives of Christians. I thought CHRIST was much like Santa Claus and Christians should experience Heaven upon earth – no more tragedy, no more sickness, no more sorrow, everything just hums along and whatever “I” asked in the name of JESUS would happen. I know that JESUS told Christians to ask in HIS name but the question is “Are we in an intimate relationship with HIM and walking according to the leadership of the Holy Spirit?” Later in my Spiritual journey, the LORD revealed that my desire to be a mature Christian was for the power of GOD to be manifested in my life. I wanted to be the Spiritual powerhouse for the wrong reasons. It was not for the Glorification of JESUS or GOD but to glorify me.

The true Christian life does hum along but not according to our plans but as the Holy Spirit desires and leads us. Where HE leads may not be that pretty. The major battle field is self. Who leads us and whose desires do we want to fulfill, the flesh or the Holy Spirit? It is easy to think that the desires of the flesh are the leadership of the Holy Spirit. Christians need discernment but do not get discouraged because GOD will lead HIS children to see truth and that is a vital part of maturing as a Christian.

I am stubborn and it took me a long time to work through it. The study “Experiencing God” written by Dr. Henry Blackaby and Claude King, published by LifeWay, Nashville, TN helped me to look earnestly and honestly at my relationship with GOD. I began the study by telling GOD that I had some problems with HIM that we needed to resolve. I am sure HE was shaking in HIS boots. Instead, HE brought much to my mind that needed attention. We resolved the issues I had at that time and I saw GOD in a new light. GOD’S desire is for HIS children and others to be honest with HIM. HE already knows, so why try to keep anything from HIM?

Growing and maturing Spiritually is a long journey or at least it has been for me. The beauty of our relationship is that HE is still working on me and always will be until we meet face to face! HE is still building on the foundation of CHRIST laid in my life many years ago. I believe HE will not complete HIS work in Christians until they see CHRIST. Let’s explore.

First, who was James? I believe, he was the brother of CHRIST. We know that the James who wrote the Book of James was the leader of the Christian church in Jerusalem and was martyred around 66 A.D. The Book of James was written between 48 and 52 A.D.

Before the crucifixion of JESUS, neither James nor his other brothers believed that JESUS was the promised Messiah. But don’t stop here because there is the rest of the story. Let’s read what the Apostle John recorded in John7:1-6:

1 After this, Jesus traveled in Galilee, since He did not want to travel in Judea because the • Jews were trying to kill Him. 2 The Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, 3 so His brothers said to Him, “Leave here and go to Judea so Your disciples can see Your works that You are doing. 4 For no one does anything in secret while he’s seeking public recognition. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world.” 5 (For not even His brothers believed in Him.) 6 Jesus told them, “My time has not yet arrived, but your time is always at hand.

But after the crucifixion, death, burial, resurrection and ascension of his brother, JESUS, into heaven, James, as well as HIS other brothers, were in the upper room waiting for the coming of the Holy Spirit. Acts 1:14:

14 All these were continually united in prayer, along with the women, including Mary the mother of Jesus, and His brothers. These were not HIS disciples. HIS brothers became believers after the resurrection.

Now, not all Christian organizations believe that these were JESUS’ half-brothers. Some say they were HIS cousins, some say they were the children of Joseph from a previous marriage and had no biological relationship with JESUS.

I believe James was the biological half-brother of JESUS, the Virgin Mary being the mother of JESUS, who was her first born, and all of JESUS’ siblings. Mary birthed HIS brothers and HIS sisters after she birthed JESUS.

We read in 1 Corinthians 15:7:

3 For I passed on to you (e) as most important what I also received:

that Christ died (f) for our sins according to the Scriptures, (g)

4 that He was buried, (h) that He was raised on the third day (i) according to the Scriptures, (j)

5 and that He appeared to • Cephas (Peter), (k) then to the Twelve. (l)

6 Then He appeared to over 500 brothers at one time; (m) most of them are still alive, but some have fallen • asleep.

7 Then He appeared to James, (n) then to all the apostles. (o)

The Apostle Paul made it a point to reveal that JESUS appeared to James. Paul had a special personal calling from JESUS and my thoughts are that Paul included James as having a special personal calling for ministry, as well.

Notice in Galatians 1:19 that Paul confirms that he met with James, the Lord’s brother after his conversion experience on the road to Damascus:

18 Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to get to know • Cephas (Peter), and I stayed with him 15 days. 19 But I didn’t see any of the other apostles except James, the Lord’s brother.

So I am convinced the James was the brother of JESUS.

Let’s read James 1:1-4:

1 James, a • slave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ: To the 12 tribes in the Dispersion. Greetings. Trials and Maturity 2 Consider it a great joy, my • brothers, whenever you experience various trials,

James, the brother of JESUS, considered himself to be a slave of GOD and the LORD JESUS CHRIST. Something spectacular took place in the heart of James after the resurrection of CHRIST. It was salvation and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. He saw JESUS as the true promised Messiah, Who was and is the only Son of GOD.

After the Day of Pentecost, where 5,000 people became Christians and were filled with and indwelled by the promised Holy Spirit, these new Christians met together to learn more about CHRIST from HIS disciples and HIS brothers. They lived in a type of commune and shared food and other necessities with each other. After a period of time, the local Jews began to refuse to give work to the Christians, especially these Jewish Christians. They threatened them and took them to court. As a result, Christians began to disperse to other areas outside Jerusalem. This period is referred to as the Diasporas. It was a troubling time for Christians but GOD used it to spread the Gospel to the surrounding countries. James wrote that Christians should consider various trials as opportunities and look at them with joy. Why? It reveals the Spiritual maturity of the Christians encountering the trial. I know years ago, I heard Dr. Peter Lord speak at a Campus Crusade for Christ training session. He told about his church on Florida having a “Count it all Joy Party” when something happened to their church members. If a member lost his/her job, it was party time or many other trails could trigger a party. Christians responding in such a manner sends a powerful message to fellow Christians and the community. I personally have never thrown such a party but I have considered it but never felt led by the Holy Spirit to do so.  

When Christians seek help from GOD during trials, although it is a very difficult time, it is a time of Spiritual growth and maturing. It is not pleasant but it will be Spiritually rewarding in the long run. In 2 Corinthians 1:3-4, the Bible gives us the reason why Christians go through such times:

3 Praise (h) the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies (i) and the God of all comfort. (j)

4 He comforts us in all our affliction, (k) so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any kind of affliction, through the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 

Let’s read James 1:3

3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

Industry tests various materials to make certain they meet the specifications for quality. In many cases, the lives of many people depend upon the quality of materials. GOD is no different. HE allows things to come into our lives to test our faith and reveal flaws that need attention. When HE calls, HE wants Christians to be obedient and perform as HE directs and reveals.

Why would HE do that? HE already knows the outcome of the test in our lives but the important matter is that we do not know. But we need to see how we measure up according to GOD’S design requirements for us to grow and mature Spiritually in order to obediently serve HIM. When Christians know that they have passed the test, it gives them confidence and assurance. GOD may raise the bar in order for us to go to the next level of obedient service.

This brings to mind, when I took flying lessons many years ago. I had accumulated a number of hours flying as a student. My instructor and I went up to get another hour of flying time logged. I made 2 of the worst landings I had made since I began learning to fly. My instructor, asked me to pull the plane over to the side and he got out of the plane. Well, I thought I had frightened the man such that he had to get out and calm down. To my surprise, he said okay take off. He told me to watch for a commercial flight that was schedule in the next 15 minutes.

WOW!! I was scared but turned the plane to the take off position and gave the engine full throttle and off I went, all alone. The plane rose quickly because it was lighter without the instructor. WOW, it was thrilling to be in command, until the thought crossed my mind that I had to land the plane and I had made two awful landings. I remember getting into the landing pattern and lining up with the runway with my heart in my throat. The thought ran through my mind that the only way down was for me to land the plane or else. I remember my heart ponding and as the runway got closer and closer and the wheels touching the ground. When those wheels touched the runway, all fear left and I knew I could do it again. The instructor motioned for me to take it around again. I pushed the throttle forward to full throttle and went around and landed.

I pulled over to the instructor and he got into the plane for me to take him back to the hanger. He turned to me and said, “I guess, you wondered why I told you to solo after you made those 2 bad landings?” I said, “Yes, I did.” He said, “Yes, you did make 2 bad landings but you recovered and protected the plane and both of us. When a student can protect the plane and his passengers he is ready to solo.”

GOD, through the indwelling Holy Spirit, is the instructor of every Christian who is willing to yield his/her life to HIM. Then there comes the moment when HE allows us to solo and fly on the wings of faith. It can be scary but HE knows what HE is doing after all HE made us and has been intimately involved in our lives since the instant we were conceived.

Obedient service and maintaining our faith during times of tests and trails produces endurance. Keeping the faith during these times brings about Spiritual maturity. It does not mean we have arrived but we are in the process of being made more Spiritually mature.

Let’s read James 1:4:

4 But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing.

When GOD’S training program has been completed, the results are mature Christians ready for whatever the world brings their way. I think that will not happen until we behold JESUS face to face, when we exit our earth suits. When we do, we will be like HIM instantly.

I have found that GOD does not take us over, under or around certain circumstances in our lives but HE takes us through the middle. When we come out on the other end, we may, so-to-speak, be battered, bloody and bruised but fully confident in our relationship with GOD through CHRIST. GOD’S desire is for HIS children to choose to obediently serve HIM.

Revelation 3:15-22:

15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were cold or hot. 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I am going to vomit (p) you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, ‘I’m rich; I have become wealthy and need nothing,’ and you don’t know that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked, 18 I advise you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire so that you may be rich, white clothes so that you may be dressed and your shameful nakedness not be exposed, and ointment to spread on your eyes so that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and discipline. So be committed (q) and repent. 20 Listen! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and have dinner with him, and he with Me. 21The victor: I will give him the right to sit with Me on My throne, just as I also won the victory and sat down with My Father on His throne.

22 “Anyone who has an ear should listen to what the Spirit says to the churches.”

Trials are the refiner’s fire.

A person was watching a goldsmith refine gold. The goldsmith would turn up the fire and dross (impurities) would float to the top and he would skim the dross off. He would turn up the fire to make it hotter and skim off the dross. The person observed him doing this for a number of times when he asked the goldsmith, “When do you know when the gold is ready?” He said, “When the flame is as hot as it can get and I can lean over and look into the pot and see my reflection.” That is exactly what GOD’S desire is for us. HE wants to see us reflect CHRIST to others. We may have to go through a refining process. Our salvation is secure. This is the process of sanctification.

This may sound unsettling to some but keep in mind that the Holy Spirit indwells you and GOD will never forsake you or leave you. HE will not subject you to more than you can endure. We who can give good gifts to our children, how much more can HE do for HIS children. GOD loves you and has wonderful plans for you to obediently serve HIM. But it is your choice. As stated in 1 Corinthians 3:10-15:

10 According to God’s grace that was given to me, I have laid a foundation as a skilled master builder, and another builds on it. But each one must be careful how he builds on it.

11 For no one can lay any other foundation (l) than what has been laid down. That foundation is Jesus Christ.

12 If anyone builds on that foundation with gold, silver, (m) costly stones, (n) wood, hay, or straw,

13 each one’s work will become obvious, for the day (o) will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire; (p) the fire will test the quality of each one’s work. (q)

14 If anyone’s work that he has built survives, he will receive a reward.

15 If anyone’s work is burned up, it will be lost, but he will be saved; (r) yet it will be like an escape through fire. (s) (t)

All Christians are building with some combination of wood, hay, straw or gold, silver and precious stones. GOD will test these building materials with fire. Christians will not lose their salvation if all of their building materials are burned up but they will lose their reward. Yes, they will be in heaven for eternity. I think Christians will be surprised when they start picking through the ashes because the gold, silver and precious stones will survive the fire. GOD’S desire is for Christians to yield their wills to HIM and obediently serve HIM. When Christians do, they earn rewards but they will never know it. It will be a surprise when their works are tested by fire.  

Blessings!!!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home