Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Friday, February 17, 2006

Dealing With Doubt - Jeremiah 20:1-18 - February 19, 2006

Sunday School Lesson – Dealing With Doubt – February 19, 2006

This is lesson three (3) in our series “Serving On Purpose.”

Our background and focus scripture is Jeremiah 20:1-18

Doubt is an important issue for most every Christian. Doubt enters the life of even the most dedicated Christian. The prophet Jeremiah is no different. You would think that if GOD spoke to us in a real way, nothing would ever cause us to doubt. Sometimes, as a Christian, we think we should never have doubts. I think doubts often can be healthy when they lead us to dealing with our doubts or insecurities in THE LORD. Having doubts does not mean we are substandard Christians. However it is important that we confess our doubts to GOD and ask HIM to help us understand or accept a situation which causes us to doubt. It will amaze you how HE can lead you to understanding, placing into proper perspective or accepting a doubt.

Through the scriptures, GOD allows us to see the positives and the negatives of serving HIM through the lives of HIS servants. We see the miracles, the ups and downs and the failures of HIS servants in the scriptures. King David, a man after GOD’S own heart, committed adultery and was responsible for having the husband of the lady (Bathsheba) he was having an affair with killed. David confessed his sins to GOD and GOD forgave him but David had to suffer the consequences of his sin.

Jeremiah was called of GOD for an assignment. He was called to be a prophet and speak GOD’S message to the people. GOD told him it would be a difficult assignment but HE would be with him and deliver him.

So let’s read what happens to our prophet.

Jeremiah 20:1-6:
Jeremiah Beaten by Pashhur (PASH huhr)
1 Pashhur the priest, the son of Immer and chief officer in the house of the Lord, heard Jeremiah prophesying these things. 2 So Pashhur had Jeremiah the prophet beaten and put him in the stocks at the Upper Benjamin Gate in the Lord’s temple. 3 The next day, when Pashhur released Jeremiah from the stocks, Jeremiah said to him, “The Lord does not call you Pashhur, but Magor-missabib,[1] = Terror Is on Every Side; Jr 6:25; 20:10; 46:5 4 for this is what the Lord says, ‘I am about to make you a terror to both yourself and those you love. They will fall by the sword of their enemies before your very eyes. I will hand Judah over to the king of Babylon, and he will deport them to Babylon and put them to the sword. 5 I will give away all the wealth of this city, all its products[2] Dt 28:33; Ezk 23:29 and valuables. Indeed, I will hand all the treasures of the kings of Judah over to their enemies. They will plunder them, seize them, and carry them off to Babylon. 6 As for you, Pashhur, and all who live in your house, you will go into captivity. You will go to Babylon. There you will die, and there you will be buried, you and all your friends that you prophesied falsely to.’ ”

Pashhur is a priest who has some administrative duty in the temple, such as keeping order in the temple. Pashhur “likely” (When I use “likely” that means I am not sure, so it is a guess on my part.), viewed Jeremiah’s message as disruptive and certainly in opposition to his, other priest’s and prophet’s opinions regarding what was going to happen to Jerusalem and the temple. They thought, as we discussed last week, that since the city and temple belonged to GOD nothing could harm either. So they believed they were all safe as they long as they remain in or near the city and temple.

Somehow they failed to see that doing the will of GOD is more important than dwelling within the confines of the city and the temple of GOD.

So to humiliate Jeremiah and prevent him from continuing to speak what he says GOD told him to speak, Pashhur had Jeremiah beaten and locked in stocks for 24 hours.

Pashhur had Jeremiah placed at the Upper Benjamin Gate, which is to the north toward the land of Benjamin’s tribal territory. He was placed there so all who passed by could see Jeremiah locked in the stocks and jeer at him. This was designed to humiliate Jeremiah and make him look like a laughing stock and make his message ineffective. Jeremiah had a long time to ponder his situation and he was humiliated and embarrassed. He felt GOD had abandoned him, when he was doing exactly what GOD had asked him to do.

I can see why Jeremiah questioned his situation. Often when we step out of our comfort zone in faith to serve our LORD and things don’t go as we think they should, we feel let down. After all we are representing GOD! HIS reputation is on the line and so is our reputation and credibility. I would pray and ask THE LORD, “LORD, I want you to do something to show these people that I am really your servant. LORD where are YOU? Do YOU see the situation I am in? These people will never believe that YOU sent me. I am a laughing stock. LORD how embarrassing.”

Apparently THE LORD spoke to Jeremiah during his time in the stock because as soon as he is released, Jeremiah tells Pashhur, “THE LORD does not call you Pashhur (Means Free or multiplies liberty) but Magor-missabib (MAY gahr-mi SAY bib), which means “terror on every side”. So Jeremiah has a message from the LORD for Pashhur. Jeremiah had to be gutsy to speak the message after getting out of the stock.

Jeremiah tells Pashhur, GOD is going to punish you because you are not listening to the message GOD gave me to give to you and the people. GOD tells us vengeance is MINE. So GOD tells us to leave the action to be taken against someone to HIM.

This is confirmed in Hebrews 10:30-31, 30 For we know the One who has said, Vengeance belongs to Me, I will repay,[7] Other mss add says the Lord [8] Dt 32:35 and again, The Lord will judge His people.[9] Dt 32:36 31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God! Pashhur will live to see this happen to him, his family and friends.

Jeremiah tells Pashhur you, your family and all your friends you have falsely prophesied to, will be deported to Babylon and you all will die there and be buried there. All of the wealth that is in Jerusalem will also be taken and carried off to Babylon. For a Jew to be buried outside the Promised Land was an awful thing to them. So this is a powerful message to Pashhur.

Serving GOD carries an awesome responsibility. Oh that none of us would ever block out the message of GOD. FATHER may we keep our hearts and minds in tune with YOU such that we are always ready and willing to act according to YOUR prompting by THE HOLY SPIRIT.

Let’s read Jeremiah 20:7-10:
Jeremiah’s Period of Doubt but then Compelled to Preach.
7 You deceived me, Lord, and I was deceived. You seized me and prevailed. I am a laughingstock all the time; everyone ridicules me. 8 For whenever I speak, I cry out— I proclaim: Violence and destruction![3] Jr 6:7 because the word of the Lord has become for me constant disgrace and derision. 9 If I say: I won’t mention Him or speak any longer in His name, His message becomes a fire burning in my heart, shut up in my bones. I become tired of holding it in, and I cannot prevail. 10 For I have heard the gossip of the multitudes, “Terror is on every side![4] Hb Magor-missabib; Jr 20:3 [5] Jr 6:25, 20:3, 46:5 Report [him]* The bracketed text has been added for clarity. ; let’s report him!” Everyone I trusted[6] Lit Every man of my peace; Ps 41:9 watches for my fall.[7] Ps 35:15; 56:6 “Perhaps he will be deceived so that we might prevail against him and take our vengeance on him.”

Jeremiah’s time in the stock took its toll on him. It leaves him depressed and he begins to doubt. Jeremiah is honest before GOD with his feelings. “LORD, YOU have seduced me.” The words Jeremiah uses carry the idea of the tactics an experienced man would used to seduce a virgin. Promise her anything in order to get what he wants. These are blatant words coming from Jeremiah to THE LORD. LORD YOU are more powerful and experienced than I am and YOU took advantage of me.

These are powerful words but honest words. This is exactly what GOD wants us to do when we have doubts. Be honest with HIM and let HIM know that we have a problem with HIM. GOD already knows but HE wants us to be open with HIM and seek HIS help to deal with it. It is only when we get our problem in the open that GOD can help us put the situation in proper perspective and move back into the proper relationship of service with HIM.

Jeremiah’s words are straight forward, he is upset and is ready to throw in the towel and walk away from his calling. Jeremiah is calling for destruction while all his fellow priests and prophets are saying there is going to be peace and GOD will take care of us. Jeremiah is saying, “LORD this makes me a laughing stock. Do something to confirm the message YOU have asked me to speak.” You can feel his frustration.

Jeremiah continues, “LORD every one is watching everything I do and are hoping I make a mistake, so they can do me harm. They are even gossiping about me. LORD, my credibility is on the line, don’t you care?”

Jeremiah is about as low as he can get but something happens as Jeremiah is lamenting his situation. Does he suddenly remember his calling and the promises GOD made to him?

Let’s read Jeremiah 20:11-13:

11 But the Lord is with me like a violent warrior.[8] Ex 15:3 Therefore, my persecutors will stumble and not prevail. Since they have not succeeded, they will be utterly shamed, an everlasting humiliation that will never be forgotten. 12 Lord of • Hosts, testing the righteous and seeing the heart[9] Lit kidneys and mind, let me see Your vengeance on them, for I have presented my case to You.[10] Jr 11:20 13 Sing to the Lord! Praise the Lord, for He rescues the life of the needy from the hand of evil people.

It seems that Jeremiah remembers that GOD said HE would be with him and deliver him. He likely thinks to himself, “Well, I did get out of the stock and I did give a strong message to Pashhur. Pashhur could have done more harm to me but he didn’t. THE LORD is with me!”

What a joy that over takes us when we remember the love and care of GOD.

Jeremiah continues to ponder, “Gee, LORD YOUR message to Pashhur just sunk into my brain. I just comprehended what YOU had me to say to Pashhur. Something bad is going to happen to all those who want to do me harm. YOU have helped me survive all their efforts to harm me. Now I remember what YOU told me when YOU called me, YOU will deliver me!”

Jeremiah then breaks out in praise to THE LORD. What a blessed and encouraging moment for Jeremiah.

Our lesson scripture ends here but we need to read on for a few more verses.

Let’s read Jeremiah 20:14-18:
Jeremiah’s Lament
14 Cursed be the day on which I was born.[11] Jb 3 The day my mother bore me— let it never be blessed. 15 Cursed be the man who brought the news to my father, saying, “A male child is born to you,” bringing him great joy. 16 Let that man be like the cities the Lord overthrew without compassion. Let him hear an outcry in the morning and a war cry at noontime 17 because he didn’t kill me in the womb so that my mother might have been my grave, her womb eternally pregnant. 18 Why did I come out of the womb to see [only]* The bracketed text has been added for clarity. struggle and sorrow, to end my life in shame?

Jeremiah seems to have a relapse. He goes from praise to regretting the day he was born, even cursing the poor person who told his father that his mother had given birth to a son.

Did Jeremiah suddenly remember again all his woes and that this is only the beginning of his service to GOD? He still had work to do and there would be other tough encounters? We do not know.

The fact is GOD wants us to express our true feelings to HIM. Letting our feelings out is a step toward healing. We see in Jeremiah the foundation of belief when he allows GOD to control his life. The in verses 14-18 we see what happens when we take the control of our life back into our hands. We only see that we are helpless. We are on a roller coaster and no way to stop and get off. That is when we must remember that we are on the roller coaster built by GOD; HE is in control and will get us to our destination.

This is one of the reasons why when we serve THE LORD we must keep in the forefront of our minds that it is all about GOD and HIS care and not us. We must rest in HIM and not focus on the angry waves or storms which may surround us. GOD is our refuge and our strength in the time of need. Any one of us is subject to doubt because we have an enemy Satan, who will try to defeat us and cause us to stop what GOD wants us to do. This fact alone, that is opposition by the enemy, is our confirmation that GOD will accomplish HIS work through us if we stay the course.

Confess any doubt to THE LORD and ask HIM to help you through this moment in your life. It will make you stronger.

Remember the story in Mark 9:14-24 - The Power of Faith over a Demon
14 When they came to the disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and scribes disputing with them. 15 All of a sudden, when the whole crowd saw Him, they were amazed[4] Or surprised and ran to greet Him. 16 Then He asked them, “What are you arguing with them about?” 17 Out of the crowd, one man answered Him, “Teacher, I brought my son to You. He has a spirit that makes him unable to speak. 18 Wherever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and becomes rigid. So I asked Your disciples to drive it out, but they couldn’t.” 19 He replied to them, “You unbelieving generation![5] Dt 32:5; Mk 6:6; Php 2:15 How long will I be with you? How long must I put up with you? Bring him to Me.” 20 So they brought him to Him. When the spirit saw Him, it immediately convulsed the boy. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth. 21 “How long has this been happening to him?” Jesus asked his father. “From childhood,” he said. 22 “And many times it has thrown him into fire or water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” 23 Then Jesus said to him, “ ‘If You can?’[6] Other mss add believe [7] Jesus appears to quote the father’s words in v. 22 and then comment on them. Everything is possible to the one who believes.” 24 Immediately the father of the boy cried out, “I do believe! Help my unbelief.”

The father of the boy had to ask JESUS to help his unbelief.

Keep in mind it is not us who has the power; it is GOD who has the power. When we have the relationship with GOD through HIS ONLY SON JESUS, it is HIS power that is manifested through us. Our unbelief can prevent HIS power from flowing through us. Doubt is a form of unbelief. That is why we must deal with doubt when it raises its head in our lives. Go back to the basics and source to remind us of our calling or the moment we accepted CHRIST as our SAVIOR. Confess any doubts and ask GOD to help your unbelief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home