Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Friday, July 05, 2024

Count On (5) - GOD'S Promise of a King - 2 Samuel 7:8-16 - July 7, 2024 - Enjoy and Be Blessed!!!

 

Count On (5) – GOD’S Promise of a King – 2 Samuel 7:8-16 – July 7, 2024

GOD promised an eternal King and kingdom.

The exact number of covenants between God and humanity isn’t universally agreed upon, but there are five foundational covenants that play a significant role in the Bible:

1.    The Covenant GOD made with Noah to never destroy the entire earth by flood again. GOD gave mankind the rainbow to confirm HIS promise.

2.    The Covenant GOD made with Abraham and his descendants of land, and blessings. Through Abraham’s lineage, all nations would be blessed.

3.    GOD made a covenant with the Israelites on Mount Sinai through Moses. This covenant included the Ten Commandments and other laws designed to preserve the Israelites and build the right relationship with GOD through The Law.

4.    In our study today, we read about the covenant GOD reveals to King David or the Davidic Covenant. JESUS would come through David’s ancestral line.

5.    The New Covenant, which is eternal, was established by the passion of JESUS. Why JESUS? The Holy Spirit came upon the Virgin Mary, and she conceived JESUS. JESUS was born 100% human, yet GOD. JESUS was subject to sin, as any human, yet HE remained sinless. HIS sinless life, bodily death through, HIS shed blood, bodily resurrection, and bodily ascension of JESUS, confirms the covenant  reconcilation to GOD. The indwelling Holy Spirit is the guarantee of Spiritual birth for all who place their faith in JESUS. This is GOD’S eternal covenant for all who place their faith in JESUS. The shed blood of JESUS is vital for the forgiveness of all who place their faith in JESUS.

These covenant milestones lead to JESUS being GOD’S perfect acceptable sacrifice for all as stated in Hebrews 9:22:
According to the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

 

Thus, JESUS fulfilled the law and established GOD’S Grace for all who place their faith in JESUS and confirmed by HIS resurrection.

 

Our focus scripture is 2 Samuel 7:8-16.

Let’s read 2 Samuel 7:1-7:

The Lord’s Covenant with David

When the king (David) had settled into his palace and the Lord had given him rest on every side from all his enemies, the king said to the prophet Nathan, “Look, I am living in a cedar house while the ark of God sits inside tent curtains.”

So Nathan told the king, “Go and do all that is on your mind, for the Lord is with you.”

King David received approval from Nathan the Prophet to proceed with the plan King David had in his mind to build GOD an earthly dwelling. But as we read on, we learn that GOD’S plan would supersede an earthly dwelling for GOD.

When GOD changes our plans, how do we respond? Do we listen or do we plough ahead? I have ploughed ahead thinking it was Satan blocking what I thought was GOD’S plan only to discover it was GOD’S way to get me to change directions. Ouch!!! A lesson to learn early in our walk with JESUS. Trust and obey for there is no other way to be happy in JESUS.

But that night the word of the Lord came to Nathan: “Go to my servant David and say, ‘This is what the Lord says: Are you to build me a house to dwell in? From the time I brought the Israelites out of Egypt until today I have not dwelt in a house; instead, I have been moving around with a tent as my dwelling. In all my journeys with all the Israelites, have I ever spoken a word to one of the tribal leaders of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, asking: Why haven’t you built me a house of cedar?’

GOD spoke to Nathan. In essence, “I have a far greater plan for you through your ancestral line.”

We know, since the passion of JESUS and the coming of the Holy Spirit, GOD dwells in every person’s heart, who accepts JESUS as their Savior. Those redeemed by the shed blood of JESUS are the temple, not built with hands, to be the light of the world and draw those who seek GOD through faith in JESUS, to be Spiritually born into GOD’S ETERNAL Family, never to be unborn. All who are redeemed through faith in JESUS earn rewards for their obedience. We all build upon the solid foundation of JESUS by using various building materials. We may not reach our full potential because of lack of faith. (1 Corinthians 3:12-17)

Let’s read 2 Samuel 7:8-9:

So now this is what you are to say to my servant David: ‘This is what the Lord of Armies says: I took you from the pasture, from tending the flock, to be ruler over my people Israel. I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have destroyed all your enemies before you. I will make a great name for you like that of the greatest on the earth.

Often, GOD wants us to look back to where we came from, where we are now and where we are planning to go. 

GOD referred to Himself as the “LORD of Armies.” David knew that the one true GOD of the Israelites had given him victory over his enemies and wild animals since he was a young lad through his adult life. Now the “LORD of Armies,” was giving David an overview and reminder of how the “LORD of Armies” had protected him and given him victories. Now David wanted to do something for GOD, but GOD has HIS ways of correcting our thinking. Rather than David doing something for GOD, GOD had an eternal plan of salvation for all people who would place their faith in JESUS, WHO would come through David’s ancestral earthly lineage/human lineage.

David was born approximately 1040 BC. (Moses was born approximately in 1571 BC) The birth of JESUS marked our calendar change from BC to AD.

Let’s read 2 Samuel 7:10-11:

10 I (GOD) will designate a place for my people Israel and plant them, so that they may live there and not be disturbed again. Evildoers will not continue to oppress them as they have done 11 ever since the day, I ordered judges to be over my people Israel. I will give you rest from all your enemies.

“‘The Lord declares to you: The Lord himself will make a house for you.” 

The land of Israel is still a landmark for us today. Why? Israel is important regarding the final days before GOD reveals the end.

Let’s read 2 Samuel 7:12-16:

12 When your time comes and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up after you your descendant (singular) ((JESUS – 1040 years later)), who will come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He is the one who will build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will discipline him with a rod of men and blows from mortals. 15 But my faithful love will never leave him as it did when I removed it from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 Your house and kingdom will endure before me[a] forever, and your throne will be established forever.’” Blessings!!!

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home