Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Friday, October 27, 2023

Bible Study - Confident (3) - Why Do We Suffer? - Job 30 vs 26-31 and 42 vs 1-6 October 29, 2023

 

            Confident (3) – Why Do We Suffer? – October29, 2023

This is lesson three (3) in our series entitled, “Why Do We Suffer?”

Our scripture is Job 30:26-31; 42:1-6.

We may not know why we suffer, but GOD meets us in our Suffering.

How did it come about that GOD’S faithful follower, Job, was tested by Satan?

Let’s read Job 1:1-22: (Background)

Job and His Family

There was a man in the country of Uz named Job. He was a man of complete integrity, who feared God and turned away from evil. He had seven sons and three daughters. His estate included seven thousand sheep and goats, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen, five hundred female donkeys, and a very large number of servants. Job was the greatest man among all the people of the east.

His sons used to take turns having banquets at their homes. They would send an invitation to their three sisters to eat and drink with them. Whenever a round of banqueting was over, Job would send for his children and purify them, rising early in the morning to offer burnt offerings for[a] all of them. For Job thought, “Perhaps my children have sinned, having cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular practice.

A harmonious family is such a great joy. Job’s family enjoyed just coming together and eating. That is what our family loves to do.

In my dad’s family there were 7 boys and 1 girl and, in my mother’s, family were 4 girls and 1 boy. Both families’ gatherings were around food. And my, they were all good cooks.

Back to Job. All was joyous until Satan attacked. Job’s family was Satan’s first target. How did such an attack come about? Let’s read on --

Satan’s First Test of Job

One day the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan[b] also came with them. The Lord asked Satan, “Where have you come from?”

“From roaming through the earth,” Satan answered him, “and walking around on it.”

Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? No one else on earth is like him, a man of perfect integrity, who fears God and turns away from evil.”

Satan answered the Lord, “Does Job fear God for nothing? 10 Haven’t you placed a hedge around him, his household, and everything he owns? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he owns, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

12 “Very well,” the Lord told Satan, “Everything he owns is in your power. However, do not lay a hand on Job himself.” So, Satan left the Lord’s presence.

13 One day when Job’s sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house, 14 a messenger came to Job and reported, “While the oxen were plowing and the donkeys grazing nearby, 15 the Sabeans swooped down and took them away. They struck down the servants with the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you!”

16 He was still speaking when another messenger came and reported, “God’s fire fell from heaven. It burned the sheep and the servants and devoured them, and I alone have escaped to tell you!”

17 That messenger was still speaking when yet another came and reported, “The Chaldeans formed three bands, made a raid on the camels, and took them away. They struck down the servants with the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you!”

18 He was still speaking when another messenger came and reported, “Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house. 19 Suddenly a powerful wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on the young people so that they died, and I alone have escaped to tell you!”

20 Then Job stood up, tore his robe, and shaved his head. He fell to the ground and worshiped21 saying:

Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
and naked I will leave this life.[c]
The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away.
Blessed be the name of the Lord.

22 Throughout all this Job did not sin or blame God for anything.[d]

This was the beginning in the life of Job. There was more to come.

We must keep in mind that this occurred before JESUS came to earth.

Let’s go to our selected scripture in Job 30:26-31:

Let’s read Job 30:26-31:

But when I hoped for good, evil came;
when I looked for light, darkness came.
27 I am churning within[
a] and cannot rest;
days of suffering confront me.
28 I walk about blackened, but not by the sun.[
b]
I stood in the assembly and cried out for help.
29 I have become a brother to jackals
and a companion of ostriches.

Job compared himself to something that people feared and avoided. These animals, by their nature, repelled people and other animals.

30 My skin blackens and flakes off,[c]
and my bones burn with fever.
31 My lyre is used for mourning
and my flute for the sound of weeping.

Job suffered from an outward skin disorder that again, would result in people avoiding him. If that was not enough, his bones burned. The musical instruments that once brought him joy and pleasure now were used for mourning and weeping.

Let’s read Job 42:1-3:

Job Replies to the Lord

42 Then Job replied to the Lord:

I[a] know that you (GOD) can do anything
and no plan of yours (GOD) can be thwarted.
You (GOD) asked, “Who is this who conceals my counsel with ignorance?”
Surely I (Job) spoke about things I did not understand,
things too wondrous for me to[
b] know.

It seems that Job was trying to figure out why he was experiencing these terrible conditions, when he knew that he had not sinned against GOD. It seems that he comes to a conclusion, “Surely I (Job) spoke about things I did not understand, things too wondrous for me to[b] know.”

The law punishes, however, GOD’S Grace abounds and forgives, when our sins are confessed.

I[a] know that you (GOD) can do anything
and no plan of yours (GOD) can be thwarted.
You (GOD) asked, “Who is this who conceals my counsel with ignorance?”

GOD is sovereign and HIS plans do not change.

To me Job was looking for the best outcome from his situation and GOD revealed it to Job. Let’s read on in Chapter 42 ---

Let’s read Job 42:4-6:

You said, “Listen now, and I will speak.
When I question you, you will inform me.”
I had heard reports about you,
but now my eyes have seen you.
Therefore, I reject my words and am sorry for them;
I am dust and ashes.[
c][d]

Job had heard of GOD but now he fully comprehended the existence of GOD.

Often, we as humans struggle to comprehend GOD when we see some of the things that fellow humans or ourselves encounter in life. However, in Job’s case he finally witnessed the presence of GOD.

Many of us desire to get to know GOD in a real way and it is often through hardship and suffering that we get to know HIM in a real way. No one enjoys hardship or suffering. Trust and obey for there is no other way to be happy in JESUS other than to trust and obey.

Do you recall the Biblical account of Joseph’s brothers selling him into slavery and his life’s journey in Egypt? GOD used Joseph mightily to preserve the lives of Egyptians, Israelites and many other people groups.

When Joseph’s brothers encountered him in Egypt, they did not know what Joseph might do to them, since he was, in essence, in command and they had sold him into a life of slavery.

We read in Genesis 50: 19 Joseph said to them, “Do not be afraid, for am I in the place of God? 20 But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive. 21 Now therefore, do not be afraid; I will provide for you and your little ones.” And he comforted them and spoke [d]kindly to them.

We read in Isaiah 55: 8-9: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Life upon earth is our training ground to discover GOD and build the right relationship with HIM through faith in JESUS. GOD shows HIS love toward us in that while we were sinners Christ died for us. Romans 5:8: But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. We were chosen but will we accept GOD’S invitation for salvation? All of us have a choice, how do you choose?

JESUS and eternal life or reject JESUS and receive eternal death?

As we read and study GOD’S Word, we get to see the ever-increasing revelation of GOD’S love for all people. CHRIST’S death is important but HIS resurrection is GOD’S promise to all who place their faith in JESUS of their bodily resurrection from death to eternal life.

The Bible is the revelation of GOD on an ever-ascending scale ending with the establishing of a new eternal Heaven and Earth.

Blessings!!!

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home