Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Friday, October 14, 2022

Bible Study - Build (1) - Why We Need GOD'S Word - 2 Timothy 3:1-5, 13-17 - October 16, 2022

 

Bible Study – Build (1) – Why We Need GOD’S Word – October 16, 2022

This is lesson one in our series entitled, “How to Build Your Life on GOD’S Word.”

Our focus scripture is 2 Timothy 3:1-5, 13-17.

The Bible reveals everything we need to know to live victoriously.

Enjoy and be blessed. We are living in the last days!!!

Let’s read 2 Timothy 3:1-5:

But know this: Hard times will come in the last daysFor people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, proud, demeaning, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, without love for what is good, traitors, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to the form of godliness but denying its power. Avoid these people.

Know this – hard times will come in the last days. The Apostle Paul was telling his readers then and us today to pay special attention to what he was writing.

The word “hard” appears in Matthew 8:28, “28 When he (JESUS) had come to the other side, to the region of the Gadarenes,[h] two demon-possessed men met him as they came out of the tombs. They were so violent that no one could pass that way.” The word “violent” in the Greek language describes a wild animal or something “out of control.” This helps to define “hard times.” We see that manifested today.

When are the last days? The “last days” reflects first century Jewish and Christian views of human history. The first time period was from creation to the coming of the promised Messiah, JESUS. The coming of JESUS marked “the day of the LORD” and would mark the final period or last days. So, the last days have already begun and will last until the second coming of JESUS.

JESUS gave a very graphic picture of the hard times people will face in the end times in Matthew 24. The Apostle Paul gave us an idea of what many will witness, as we read on. People will be ---

Lovers of self means trouble as defined by e.g., egotistical, narcissistic, self-centered, big-headed, arrogant – this helps us put some flesh on these bones.

What does lovers of self, trigger? The Apostle Paul gave a list of attributes of those who are lovers of self.

-         lovers of money, boastful, proud, demeaning, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, without love for what is good, traitors, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to the form of godliness but denying its power. 

Then Paul gave advice to those who observe these natures in others. Simply – Avoid these people. Why? The old saying goes, “birds of a feather, flock together.” How do you want to be identified in your community or as a Spirit-born Christian.  

Those who reflect these traits are phonies. They want to appear that they know truth and are godly people but in truth they are wolves in sheep’s clothing.

This idea continues in our next scripture. These people are deceivers and desire to be something they are not. They are hypocrites.

What will this trigger? Let’s read on ------

Let’s read 2 Timothy 3:13-15:

13 Evil people and impostors will become worse, deceiving, and being deceived.  14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed. You know those who taught you, 15 and you know that from infancy you have known the sacred Scriptures, which are able to give you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 

Paul makes it clear in the last days, “Evil people and impostors will become worse, deceiving, and being deceived.” These people are not only deceiving but they are being deceived.

What are the dynamics taking place? When people deceive, they either wittingly or unwittingly open themselves up to Satan. Satan is a deceiver and a liar. In fact, we read in John 8:44:

“You are of your father the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks from his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies.”

John 8:3 documents to whom JESUS was speaking above in John 8, verse 44 - Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery, making her stand in the center.

John 8 is replete with JESUS documenting HIS relationship with GOD and why HE came to earth.

We read in John 8:12: 12 Jesus spoke to them (scribes and Pharisees) again“I am the light of the world. Anyone who follows me will never walk in the darkness but will have the light of life.”

Truth came to earth as a human, yet GOD, and those who had studied the scriptures did not recognize truth when they saw HIM.

Let’s read John 8:1-59:
But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

An Adulteress Forgiven

At dawn he went to the temple again, and all the people were coming to him. He sat down and began to teach them.

Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery, making her stand in the center. “Teacher,” they said to him, “this woman was caught in the act of committing adultery. In the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So, what do you say?” They asked this to trap him, in order that they might have evidence to accuse him.

Jesus stooped down and started writing on the ground with his finger. When they persisted in questioning him, he stood up and said to them, “The one without sin among you should be the first to throw a stone at her.” Then he stooped down again and continued writing on the ground. When they heard this, they left one by one, starting with the older men. Only he was left, with the woman in the center. 10 When Jesus stood up, he said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, Lord,”[a] she answered.

“Neither do I condemn you,” said Jesus. “Go, and from now on do not sin anymore.”]

The Light of the World

12 Jesus spoke to them again (scribes and Pharisees)I am the light of the world. Anyone who follows me will never walk in the darkness but will have the light of life.”

13 So the Pharisees said to him, “You are testifying about yourself. Your testimony is not valid.”

14 “Even if I testify about myself,” Jesus replied, “My testimony is true, because I know where I came from and where I’m going. But you don’t know where I come from or where I’m going. 15 You judge by human standards.[b] I judge no one. 16 And if I do judge, my judgment is true, because it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. 17 Even in your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. 18 I am the one who testifies about myself, and the Father who sent me testifies about me.”

19 Then they asked him, “Where is your Father?”

“You know neither me nor my Father,” Jesus answered. “If you knew me, you would also know my Father.” 20 He spoke these words by the treasury, while teaching in the temple. But no one seized him, because his hour had not yet come.

Jesus Predicts His Departure

21 Then he said to them again, “I’m going away; you will look for me, and you will die in your sin. Where I’m going, you cannot come.”

22 So the Jews said again, “He won’t kill himself, will he, since he says, ‘Where I’m going, you cannot come’?”

23 “You are from below,” he told them, “I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 Therefore I told you that you will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I am he, you will die in your sins.”

25 “Who are you?” they questioned.

“Exactly what I’ve been telling you from the very beginning,” Jesus told them. 26 “I have many things to say and to judge about you, but the one who sent me is true, and what I have heard from him—these things I tell the world.”

27 They did not know he was speaking to them about the Father. 28 So Jesus said to them, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own. But just as the Father taught me, I say these things. 29 The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what pleases him.”

Truth and Freedom

30 As he was saying these things, many believed in him.

31 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you continue in my word,[c] you really are my disciples. 32 You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

33 “We are descendants[d] of Abraham,” they answered him, “and we have never been enslaved to anyone. How can you say, ‘You will become free’?”

34 Jesus responded, “Truly I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 A slave does not remain in the household forever, but a son does remain forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you really will be free. 37 I know you are descendants of Abraham, but you are trying to kill me because my word has no place among you. 38 I speak what I have seen in the presence of the Father; [e] so then, you do what you have heard from your father.”

39 “Our father is Abraham,” they replied.

“If you were Abraham’s children,” Jesus told them, “you would do what Abraham did. 40 But now you are trying to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You’re doing what your father does.”

“We weren’t born of sexual immorality,” they said. “We have one Father—God.”

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, because I came from God and I am here. For I didn’t come on my own, but he sent me. 43 Why don’t you understand what I say? Because you cannot listen to[f] my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks from his own nature,[g] because he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Who among you can convict me of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to God’s words. This is why you don’t listen, because you are not from God.”

Jesus and Abraham

48 The Jews responded to him, “Aren’t we right in saying that you’re a Samaritan and have a demon?”

49 “I do not have a demon,” Jesus answered. “On the contrary, I honor my Father and you dishonor me. 50 I do not seek my own glory; there is one who seeks it and judges. 51 Truly I tell you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”

52 Then the Jews said, “Now we know you have a demon. Abraham died and so did the prophets. You say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’ 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham who died? And the prophets died. Who do you claim to be?”

54 “If I glorify myself,” Jesus answered, “my glory is nothing. My Father—about whom you say, ‘He is our God’—he is the one who glorifies me. 55 You do not know him, but I know him. If I were to say I don’t know him, I would be a liar like you. But I do know him, and I keep his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day; he saw it and was glad.”

57 The Jews replied, “You aren’t fifty years old yet, and you’ve seen Abraham?” [h]

58 Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, before Abraham was, I am.” ( I AM is the name of GOD. JESUS is GOD in human form. JESUS is the second Adam.)

59 So they picked up stones to throw at him. But Jesus was hidden[i] and went out of the temple.[j]

These were the very religious leaders who should have been looking for the promised Messiah. These religious leaders were in HIS presence but did not recognize HIM because HE did not match up with their idea of the promised Messiah. JESUS became hidden because HIS time had not yet come.

There are many religious institutions throughout the world. Some know the truth, others do not and are blind to truth. When those who claim to know the truth do not preach and teach truth, it gives Satan and his minions opportunity to deceive, even the elect. We who know the truth must rightly divide and discern GOD’S Word and live truth, especially in these last days.

When we study GOD’S Word, we should ask GOD to clear our minds of preconceived notions and reveal truth to us as we study.

This leads us to Paul revealing why all people should trust the scripture as truth from GOD. Keep in mind scripture is our anchor during the storms of life. Does your anchor hold when the storms of life and hard times come into your life. Do you trust the scripture and the truth revealed by the indwelling Holy Spirit? Truth is truth and GOD’S Word is a Spirit-born person’s anchor. Paul tells us why we can trust Scripture as we read on --

Let’s read 2 Timothy 3:16-17:

16 All Scripture is inspired by God[a] and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

All scripture is inspired by GOD from Genesis to Revelation. Why should we trust GOD’S Word? It has been tested over time and proven true and trust worthy.

All scripture is

-         profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

-         As we study and apply GOD’S Word, it is worthy for teaching. Why?

-         Because as we teach and others hear GOD’S Word it reveals where we have missed the mark, which is sin. It shows us where we missed the mark but just as important, it shows us –

-         What we need to do to get back on track and serve our LORD.

-         And how to stay on track to be righteous and complete and fully equipped for every good work.

-         Trust GOD’S Word because it comes from GOD.

GOD desires an intimate loving relationship with all HIS Children. Keep in mind that GOD cares for you and has plans for you and your life. Trust HIM to build within you the right relationship that HE desires for you as you serve. Believe in JESUS by asking HIM to forgive you for your sins and for JESUS to come into your heart and save your soul.

When you do in faith, in the twinkling of the eye, you will be born Spiritually and become GOD’S Son or Daughter and receive eternal life. If you did, welcome home my brother or sister. Study GOD’S Word and talk to HIM as you study. Ask HIM to lead you to the place where you can be fed Spiritually to serve HIM.

Pastors, teachers and all who have been entrusted with GOD’S Word, teach truth because GOD has entrusted truth to you to pass on to others. We who know the truth MUST NOT hide the truth of salvation through faith in JESUS from those to whom GOD has entrusted to us because we are in the end times and things are hard.

We who know the truth, know that “greater is HE that is in us (JESUS) is greater than he that is in the world (Satan). 1 John 4:4.

Blessings!!!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home