Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Bible Study - Relationships (1) - Love - John 15:9-14 - April 26, 2020



Bible Study – Relationships (1) – Love – April 26, 2020

This is lesson one in our series entitled, “Dealing with Messy Relationships.”

Our focus scripture is John 15:9-14.

Let love permeate every relationship.

The Greek language had at least four words to express love:
-       
           Agape – unconditional love
-         Eros – passionate love, with sensual desire
-         Philia – friendship or affectionate love
-         Storge – affection or the love a parent has for their child, family love.

We have one word for love to cover various expressions of love. I love my car, my wife, my pizza, my LORD, my world, my children or grandchildren or greatgrandchildren, etc.

We read of GOD’S love as recorded in John 3:16-18.

The ultimate love is the love GOD/JESUS has for you, me and all people who will ever live upon earth. JESUS gave HIS life that all who place their faith in HIM will experience the miracle of Spiritual rebirth and
be born Spiritually into GOD’S eternal Family; never to be unborn Spiritually. Thus, the term “born-again” Christian.

JESUS was teaching HIS disciples in John Chapter 15. HE taught the necessity of true disciples to abide or live connected to HIM as a vital part of the true vine. JESUS is the true vine. Spiritual nourishment flows through the true vine/JESUS.  

Are you connected to the true vine or pretending to be connected?

Let’s explore!

Let’s read John 15:1-8: (Lead-in)

15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. Every branch in me that does not produce fruit he removes, and he prunes every branch that produces fruit so that it will produce more fruit. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I in you. Just as a branch is unable to produce fruit by itself unless it remains on the vine, neither can you unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without me. If anyone does not remain in me, he is thrown aside like a branch and he withers. They gather them, throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you want and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this: that you produce much fruit and prove to be[a] my disciples.
JESUS gave HIS sinless life to pay, in full, for the penalty of sin. When a person places his or her faith in JESUS, the person is grafted into the true vine, which is JESUS. As such, all Christians are to bear fruit for the Glory of GOD. JESUS said in Matthew 5:13-16:
13 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt should lose its taste, how can it be made salty?[b] It’s no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet.
14 You are the light of the world. A city situated on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and puts it under a basket, but rather on a lampstand, and it gives light for all who are in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.
Dear brothers and sisters in CHRIST, GOD’S desire is for you to share the treasure you have discovered in JESUS as HE gives opportunity.
As a Christian, you are grafted into the true vine, JESUS, and you will produce fruit for HIS Kingdom. How will HE produce Spiritual fruit through you?
This leads into our focus scripture -----
Let’s read John 15:9-10:
Christ like Love
“As the Father has loved me, I have also loved you. Remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.
The foundation upon which all Christians build is upon the foundation of GOD’S love. For GOD so loved the world that HE sent HIS only begotten SON, JESUS, to earth to live as 100% human, yet 100% Divine.
I am writing a short article entitled “The Man Who Couldn’t Die.” That man was JESUS. HE was beaten to a pulp, hung on the cross and would not die physically until all had been accomplished. JESUS suffered mightily because of our sin because HE loves us. HIS love compelled HIM to prepare a place for all who place their faith in JESUS in HIS eternal Kingdom.
Do we deserve such love? No! But GOD and JESUS thought so because GOD does not make junk. Sin makes us into junk but HIS love takes junk and recycles it into HIS magnificent Glory.
Why did GOD/JESUS do this? It was because of HIS love for all HIS creation and HIS redemptive nature. GOD completes what HE begins.
So, what is the secret? “Remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in HIS love.” Christians are to remain in HIS love.
The word “remain” means to “abide.” What does it mean to “abide”?
It means to dwell in or live in GOD’S love; to be housed with GOD; to be in right relationship with GOD as your Best Friend.
How do we live in GOD’S love and remain in GOD’S love? The answer, “If you keep my commands you will remain in my love.” How do we keep HIS commandments? We abide in HIM. I know that goes in a circle. Christians live under GOD’S Grace. The Law is a traffic cop and reveals how we violate the Law and the Spirit of the Law. When we know we are going astray, then the Law gets our attention. So, what can we do? One thing is recorded 1 John 1:5-10:
This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light, and there is absolutely no darkness in him. If we say, “We have fellowship with him,” and yet we walk in darkness, we are lying and are not practicing the truth. If we walk in the light as he himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say, “We have no sin,” we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say, “We have not sinned,” we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Study GOD’S Word, talk to HIM as you would your very best friend (Pray), ask HIM to reveal truth to you, ask HIM to lead you to those who preach, teach and live truth. Ask HIM to help you decern truth from error. Apply what HE teaches/reveals to you.
What does the Father command? Study HIS Word to find out and then apply it to your life as you encounter life trusting HIM.
What did JESUS reveal about HIS and HIS Fathers relationship in John 5:19-20:
19 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, the Son is not able to do anything on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father[e] does, the Son likewise does these things. 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him everything he is doing, and he will show him greater works than these so that you will be amazed.
And John 5:30:
30 “I can do nothing on my own. I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, because I do not seek my own will, but the will of him who sent me.
JESUS was obedient to the leadership of HIS Father and Christians are under the leadership of the Holy Spirit. But do we seek HIM for direction or do our own thing first? Abiding is being in unity with GOD through right relationship and allowing HIS direction/leadership flow through us as HIS Children. Christians are a work in progress. Perfection will come the day we exit our earth suits and meet JESUS face to face.
What did JESUS tell the expert in the law when he asked a very important question as recorded in Matthew22:35-40:
35 And one of them, an expert in the law, asked a question to test him: 36 “Teacher, which command in the law is the greatest?”
37 He said to him, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.[m] 38 This is the greatest and most important[n] command. 39 The second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.[o] 40 All the Law and the Prophets depend[p] on these two commands.”
When we love GOD through relationship, we love those with whom we encounter along life’s journey. Our relationship with GOD can only take place by placing our faith in JESUS.
What is our soul? It is the vital existence of a person. It represents the composite of the person – physical life, feelings, wishes, desires, the human person, personality – unity of the body and spirit. It is the human spirit that must be Spiritually born-again through faith in JESUS. In James 2:26 we read - 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
The spirit gives life to the body, thus for the human spirit to live eternally with GOD our human spirit must be Spiritually born-again through faith in JESUS.
Let’s read John 15:11-12:
11 “I have told you these things so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.
12 “This is my command: Love one another as I have loved you.
Having the right relationship with GOD is only possible by abiding or living life connected to the One True Vine, JESUS. That is when Christians experience HIS joy.  
What is JESUS’ joy? In Isaiah 12:2-3:
Indeed, God is my salvation;
I will trust him and not be afraid,
for the Lord, the Lord himself,
is my strength and my song.
He has become my salvation.”
You will joyfully draw water
from the springs of salvation,
The indwelling Holy Spirit is the living water that quenches Spiritual thirst. Joy comes from our relationship with GOD through faith in JESUS and trusting in HIM as we serve. The Apostle Paul stated it well in Philippians 4:13:
13 I am able to do all things through him[d] who strengthens me. 
In John 16:24, we read:
24 Until now you have asked for nothing in my name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.
Are we, as Christians, fearful in asking JESUS for something? Some people I have talked with may say, “I don’t want to bother JESUS with small stuff.” Guess what? If you have a very best friend, do you withhold from him or her the things that are in your life and you need a sounding board? No! What are besties for in times of trouble, uncertainty or just needing to vent? GOD/JESUS have listening ears 24/7 and love it when you come to HIM for counsel.
JESUS was telling HIS disciples, since I am near the completion of MY work upon earth. I AM going to Heaven and when I do, I will send the Holy Spirit to indwell you. Then you will be fully equipped to go into all the world and proclaim salvation to those who are in the darkness of their sin.
And in John 16:7:
Nevertheless, I am telling you the truth. It is for your benefit that I go away, because if I don’t go away the Counselor (Holy Spirit) will not come to you. If I go, I will send him to you. The Holy Spirit came at Pentecost and indwells all who place their faith in JESUS, then and today.
Let’s read John 15:13-14:
13 No one has greater love than this: to lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 
How could JESUS suffer all the physical torture the Romans applied to HIM? HE endured it because of HIS love for GOD, HIS Father and HIS love for every person who has ever lived and will ever live upon earth. HE knew that HIS endurance to the end meant salvation to all who place their faith in HIM, Thus:
13 No one has greater love than this: to lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 
Are you a friend of JESUS? Then place your faith in HIM and live for HIM as the Holy Spirit directs your life. As you serve HIM, your trust in HIM will grow. As your trust grows, so will your opportunity to serve HIM grow.
The word “are” used in verse 14 is an interesting word. It can mean an action that is completed at the moment or it can mean that it is completed over time or a work in progress. What did JESUS mean when HE spoke those words? In essence, “If you have within yourselves the agape love of GOD. You already have the spirit within you that will obey my command to love; therefore, you are my friends.” This is both a present action that is completed by the inherent attitudes/spirit within the disciples and one that would continue to be completed through their future actions. (Copied from page 115, Advanced Bible Study, spring 2020, LifeWay Plaza, Nashville, TN 37234.)
All Christians are a “work in progress.”
Let’s read John 15:15-17:
15 I do not call you servants anymore, because a servant doesn’t know what his master[b] is doing. I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything I have heard from my Father. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce fruit and that your fruit should remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he will give you.
17 “This is what I command you: Love one another.”
JESUS said “I have called you friends,” do you call JESUS your friend. If so, how do you treat a friend, that is truly your very best friend. JESUS loves you.
So, how does one deal with messy relationships regarding love? Step one, is to have the love of GOD in you through faith in JESUS. GOD is the source of love and wisdom. Apply love with wisdom. Application can take on many forms ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.
Blessings!!!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home