Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Friday, January 19, 2018

Bible Study - Madefor More (1) - I Am Wonderfully Made - Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18 - January 21, 2018



Bible Study – Made for More (1) – I Am Wonderfully Made – January 21 2018

This is lesson one (1) in a six-week study entitled “Made for Something More.”

Our focus scripture Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18.

Every life counts – including mine.

Yes, every life is important to GOD. JESUS gave HIS life for all people in the hope that every person will place his or her faith in HIM and acknowledge JESUS as his or her Savior and make HIM the LORD of his or her life.

Our focus scripture, Psalm 139, was written by King David. He expressed and acknowledged GOD’S intimate and personal involvement in his life. Do you think GOD knows you intimately and personally?

Knowing GOD and GOD knowing each of us is a two-way path. GOD already knows all about each of us intimately but do we know GOD intimately and personally?

The Prophet Jeremiah recorded these words in Jeremiah 1:4-8:
4 The word of the Lord came to me:
5 I chose you before I formed you in the womb; I set you apart before you were born. I appointed you a prophet to the nations.
6 But I protested, "Oh no, Lord God! Look, I don't know how to speak since I am [only] a youth."
7 Then the Lord said to me: Do not say: I am [only] a youth, for you will go to everyone I send you to and speak whatever I tell you.
8 Do not be afraid of anyone, for I will be with you to deliver you. [This is] the Lord's declaration.

You may say, “Well that is nice but I am no prophet.” That may be true but you are vital to GOD. Notice, what the Apostle Paul recorded in Ephesians 1:4:

4 for He chose us in Him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love

JESUS chose us before the foundation of the world. HE chose us to be what? HE chose us to be Holy and blameless in HIS sight, in love. How is it possible for us to be “Holy and blameless in HIS sight?” It is only possible through the shed blood of JESUS and each of us placing our faith in HIM.

How is this possible? It is possible because, we are all sinners as recorded in Romans 5:8 - 8 But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

How does faith in JESUS make us acceptable to GOD?

Let’s read 2 Corinthians 5:21: 21 For our sake he (GOD) made him (JESUS) to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him (JESUS) we might become the righteousness of God.

JESUS, The sinless lamb of GOD, became sin for us so that all who place their faith in JESUS “Might become the righteousness of GOD.” GOD, The One Who made the rules which governed the Garden of Eden and declared the eternal death penalty upon Adam and Eve and their offspring, made JESUS to be sin and take the eternal death penalty upon Himself. Thus, in doing so, GOD gave all of mankind the opportunity to be redeemed from eternal death and receive eternal life through faith in JESUS. GOD placed our sin upon JESUS. JESUS willingly gave HIS sinless life for that purpose, just for you. GOD then places the righteousness of JESUS upon all who place their faith in JESUS. 

That is personal, individual and specific.

What are you to do to receive this free gift from GOD? Accept it by asking JESUS to forgive you for your sins and for HIM to come into your life as Savior and make HIM The LORD of your life.

The love of JESUS compelled HIM to leave HIS Glory in Heaven and willingly come to earth, as 100% human/100% Divine and subject to sin, yet without sin, to give HIS sinless life just for you and me to have the opportunity for salvation. GOD did not make us robots but gave us the freewill to choose. All are chosen but only so many will freely choose JESUS as their Savior. Yet, all are chosen.

This makes every person special in the eyes of GOD and JESUS. The desire for GOD and JESUS is for every person to come to a saving knowledge of JESUS and obediently live for GOD in HIS Kingdom, now.

Many of us know that GOD has been very much involved in our lives e.g. where we live, directing our career, keeping us from trouble, leading us to our mate and the list goes on.

Some may think, “If GOD has been in my life, I would hate to see my life if HE had not been involved.” We must keep in mind GOD did not make us robots. All people have the freedom to choose. GOD does dispatch HIS angels, who are under HIS direction, to come to our aid. GOD is also working in our behalf to make the best out of our messes.

I know some may be thinking, “Where was GOD, GOD’S angel or HIS angels when such and such happened to either me or to my loved one?” I understand. I had that question when our eldest son fell on a flight of steps and was killed just over 5 years ago. That is when we have to trust GOD’S decision. The hurt is there and will never go away. But the joy of knowing that our family will be joined with him one day in Heaven is our comfort.

As Christians, are we building an intimate, loving, personal relationship with GOD through faith in JESUS?

You are important to GOD as recorded in Matthew 10:29-30:

28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

The trinity of a person is body, soul and spirit. The spirit is the essence of life. It takes the spirit to give the body life. It is the spirit that needs to be born-again through faith in JESUS. Once the spirit of a person is born-again, it becomes Spirit and receives eternal life as a child of GOD. Once the Spirit is born into the family of GOD, it will never, ever become unborn. It is eternal. Heaven is that person’s destination. When a Christian dies, he or she exits his or her earth suit and steps into Heaven in the presence of JESUS and GOD for eternity. That is a guaranteed by the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Who rules our lives is the key. Do we allow our born-again Spirit to rule our lives under the authority of GOD or do we allow the body or soul to rule? Our life styles will reflect huge differences depending upon who rules our lives. Every Christian has the freedom to choose who rules. Ask GOD to help you make the Spirit to rule your life while you are upon earth. The choice is ours to make. You are important to GOD, as we read Matthew 10:29-31:
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.
30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

GOD values each person and knows each person intimately. Thus, every person must know that he or she has great self-worth in the eyes of GOD. GOD made you and GOD does not make junk.

John 3:16-17 - 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

The “whoever” in verse 16 is every person who has ever been born or will ever be born.

Let’s explore!  

Let’s read Psalm 139:1-6:
For the choir director. A Davidic psalm.

1 Lord, You have searched me and known me.

David begins with “LORD” which refers to YAHWEH, the covenant name of the One True GOD. This is the name GOD gave to Moses after HE called Moses to deliver the Israelites from Egyptian bondage.

2 You know when I sit down and when I stand up; You understand my thoughts from far away.
3 You observe my travels and my rest; You are aware of all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue, You know all about it, Lord.
5 You have encircled me; You have placed Your hand on me.
6 [This] extraordinary knowledge is beyond me. It is lofty; I am unable to [reach] it.

GOD did not know David in a cursory way but in an intimate, personal, loving way. GOD knows you in this intimate way as well.

David expressed such an intimate, loving, personal relationship with GOD. 

They had such an intimate relationship that nothing was hidden by David from GOD and neither did GOD hide anything from David. They were completely honest with each other. David was a man after GOD’S own heart, yet, David sinned mightily. Never ever think you are beyond sinning. If you ever think that you cannot sin, don’t walk but run to get counsel from a trusted friend and reveal it to GOD.

We are all sinners saved by GOD’S grace.

GOD knows us intimately. When HE flashes warning signs you had better pay attention.

What a Savior! HE never leaves us or abandons us. HE chose us and when we choose HIM; that bond that is never broken. Believe it, not because I say it, but because it is true. Once you were conceived could you become un-conceived? NO! The same is true once you have been born-again in your spirit/Spirit.

Ephesians 1:4:
4 for He chose us in Him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love

Let’s read Psalm 139:13-16:
13 For it was You who created my inward parts; You knit me together in my mother's womb.

Today, we have ultrasound that reveals what takes place in what used to be a very secret place.

14 I will praise You, because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, and I know [this] very well.
15 My bones were not hidden from You when I was made in secret, when I was formed in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw me when I was formless; all [my] days were written in Your book and planned before a single one of them began.

The Bible reveals to us in Ecclesiastes 3:2:
2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,

GOD knew who your parents would be, where you would be born, the schools you would attend, your friends, your mate, where you would live, your career, your children and the list goes on. So, if GOD knew all of this why is my life in chaos? We must keep in mind that GOD made us with the freewill to choose. Have we looked to HIM when we had decisions to make? Did our parents? Do our or our parent’s poor decisions surprise GOD? NO!

Let’s read Psalm 139:17-18:
17 God, how difficult Your thoughts are for me [to comprehend]; how vast their sum is!
18 If I counted them, they would outnumber the grains of sand; when I wake up, I am still with You.

Father, I know that you know me but I also know that often I make decisions according to what I think is best for me and not according to your desire for me. Yet, in spite of it all, YOU lead and guide my life and make the best out of my poor decisions.

I realize that even when I do not make decisions according to YOUR plans and purpose, even then YOU are at work in my life to help me to learn of YOU and nudge me to building the right relationship with YOU.

Thank you LORD for YOUR patience with me and your unfailing love!

I want so much to walk in step with YOU as YOU and I journey through life 
arm in arm. Help me to build such an intimate relationship with YOU that I will know YOUR thoughts and be guided by them. Nothing is hidden from YOU. My desire is to do your will upon earth as it is done in Heaven. Amen! Blessings!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home