Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Friday, August 22, 2014

Bible Study - Earth (1) - GOD'S Work of Creation - Psalm 104 - August 24, 2014


Bible Study – Earth (1) – GOD’S Work of Creation – August 24, 2014

This is lesson one (1) in a two-part study entitled “And It Was Good.”

Our focus scripture is Psalm 104:1-5, 24-30.

Everything in creation is the work of GOD who loves us.

The writer of this psalm is anonymous. There is a possibility it could have been David.

The origin of the universe continues to be debated. Some do not see the relevance of the Bible to science but those who study GOD’S Word marvel at the truth GOD reveals through HIS Word. One of the most fascinating lectures I heard many years ago was by Dr. Smith who taught logic and scientific logic at Columbia College, Columbia, SC.

I studied mechanical engineering and chemistry in college and received my BS in Chemistry. I went through a period of time, even though active in church, I doubted the existence of GOD. GOD allows us to ponder the questions of life and HIM to strengthen us. When I considered conception and the formation of our children in my wife’s body and when they were born going from breathing embryonic fluid to breathing air it boggled my mind. The human body itself is so intricately and wonderfully made, especially the eyes, digestion, the brain and nervous system. This led me to ponder the order found in the universe, earth, human, animals, plants and the huge variety of species upon earth from micro to macro. I concluded that the creation of such a variety of the things seen and unseen could not have happened by random probability. There had to be a Master Designer. So I concluded that Master Designer was GOD.

If you placed all of the parts for a fine Swiss watch into a bag, would it ever be able to reassemble its self? No! Not without a watchmaker.

Then, I pondered where CHRIST fit into the scheme of things. Now mind you this pondering took place over years, while active in church and reading the Bible and teaching.

Notice reading the Bible is not studying the Bible but in reading it, trying to understand it, it was powerful because GOD’S Word does not return void. Mostly, I read what I needed to read to teach a lesson.

Let’s roll back the time when my Christian journey began.

When I was about 9-10 years old, we had a visiting pastor who spoke to a group around my age one Sunday morning. He presented the plan of salvation and I responded. He asked those who responded to join him in another room where he explained what we had done but it do not stick with me. That moment is vague, yet I knew I felt different inside.

We were not planning to stay for worship service that Sunday because my dad’s family was coming to our home for Sunday lunch. I asked my parents if I could stay for church and ride to our house with my Uncle Monroe. My parents agreed. I did not tell them what I had done during the Sunday school hour. I wanted to hear more. Something different was happening internally but I did not know what was going on.

The visiting pastor preached and I do not recall what he preached about. He gave the invitation or alter call to join the church. Back then, we equated joining the church to salvation. I went forward.

Now in the Baptist church that means walking down the aisle of the church in front of all the people to the front and telling the pastor whatever you want to tell him.

I walked down the aisle. I don’t recall what I said, if anything. I just remember that I was asked, “Do you want to join the church and be baptized or do you want us to pray for you?” Well, I can tell you I did not like the idea of being baptized because in the Baptist church they let you go back into the water, face up. That is what I called ducking. I had played duck with my friends and we played to see how long we could hold someone under the water before we would let them up for air. I never liked for anyone to duck me when we went swimming in the creek. So I opted for them praying for me.

Normally, those who asked for prayer would return to their seat in the church but they had me to stand in front of the church as if I had joined the church. Many in the congregation came by and shook my hand. My relatives were excited for me. Some were crying with joy and hugging me. To all in the church, I had accepted CHRIST as my Savior and had joined the church subject to baptism. In essence, I had responded to the prompting of the Holy Spirit but I did not know that. I guess in retrospect, I became a member of the living church.

After all the people had shook my hand, I lingered back because I wanted to talk to that visiting pastor. He was busy talking to well wishers. I finally got his attention and told him that I had a strange feeling inside of me. I did not tell him that I was puzzled and wanted to know what was going on inside of me. He in effect said “ya, ya” and kept speaking to other well wishers. I left the church that day not knowing what had happened Spiritually.

When I got home, my parents told me if they had known that I was going to join the church they would have stayed for the church service.

I taught/read lessons from the time I was about 11 or 12 years old.

I recall that the person who was supposed to be our teacher often missed coming to teach us. So I decided to read the lesson to those who attended. My peers liked it and claimed they got more out of the lesson when I taught (but really read it) than when the teacher taught it. To GOD be the glory because I had nothing to do with it, except read it. But we know that GOD’S Word never returns void.

My, sweet, Christian mother had built a foundation in me because she read Bible stories to me from as far back as I can remember. My dad was a Christian and we went to church every Sunday.

I don’t recall much happening in my life after that until college. I was baptized my sophomore year in college and was active in a Bible study group. We had a guy in the class that asked questions our Bible leader could not answer. I thought they were good questions. Long story the guy asking the questions got straightened out but I went on a long journey of seeking answers. I continued in church and Bible study while seeking answers. GOD continued to place me in situations which forced me to continue reading/studying the Bible.

I have always asked GOD questions and in time HE has answered them or answered them to the degree possible with my capability to comprehend. But at least HIS answers satisfied my curiosity for a period of time. I have found that we need to grow Spiritually before we can comprehend some answers.

Along my journey in my twenties, a little boy was lost in the woods about 10 miles from where we lived. It was during winter but it happened to be the warmest day of the season. The little boy was dressed for the warm day. But that night was the coldest night of the season. They found the little boy, dead, the next morning with a tear frozen to his cheek. That news threw me into a tailspin regarding the existence of GOD and love of GOD. The GOD of the universe to me had the power over the weather and the animals. HE had power over the animals surely HE could have prevented that little boy from freezing to death.

Yes, I continued to be active in church but harbored this attitude of bitterness toward GOD.

It was not until one of our children was born that I began to think about the sperm and egg coming together and producing a human body. I thought of the intricate nature of the human body, its functions and all the parts which come together for it to function. I considered all of the senses and their function. We take in food which is converted into energy. The eyes can see up close or far away without having to turn a dial to focus them. I thought about the order of earth and the universe.

Finally, I concluded that GOD existed. Later, I began to explore CHRIST. Was HE real or a myth? I still attended church and even taught Sunday school during this questionable period. I tried to live the Christian life in my own strength. I really tried for months.

My wife and I were in a fellowship group with couples about our age. Several of them were having new experiences with CHRIST. I had dealt with several of the men in the business world and they were the same at work and socially. I concluded I needed what they had. So, I tried harder to live the Christian life but every time I failed. When driving to work one morning I was talking to the LORD and told HIM that I had really tried to live the Christian life for the past several months but could not. I told HIM I had cleaned up 60-70% of my life (notice the “I”) but the remaining 30-40% was just rotten according to Christian standards. I asked HIM to take all of my life, the good and the bad, lock, stock and barrel, and give me the strength to live the Christian life.

I can tell you in a flash, HE took it. It wasn’t but a few minutes when Satan came into the picture with words to discourage. I said, NO! I want to be GOD’S man doing things GOD’S way. That was in 1971. Oh, yes I have disappointed GOD many times but I have always known that I was HIS child. In my 70’s and I am still learning from HIM and building a stronger relationship with HIM through my relationship with CHRIST.

Why I have gone into detail about my journey with GOD? It is because we all have a story to tell. The Psalm, we will read, reveals some of the writer’s understanding of GOD. Theology is revealed in the revelation of GOD as we seek to know and understand GOD. Let’s explore!

Some Bible scholars believe that this psalm was written to reveal truth to those who worship the things GOD created rather than the GOD Who created all things. The psalm parallels the Genesis account of GOD’S creation:

Verse 1 – lays the foundation that GOD was the Master Designer and Creator of all that humans encounter around them, as such, only GOD is to be worshipped and not the things HE created.

Day 1 - Genesis 1:3 – light – 104: 2

Day 2 - Genesis 1:6 – heavens and waters – 104:2-3

Day 3 – Genesis 1:9-13 – land and vegetation – 104:6-18

Day 4 – Genesis 1:14-16 – sun, moon and stars – 104:19-23

Day 5 – Genesis 1:20-23 – fish and birds – 104:25-26

Day 6 – Genesis 1:24-31 - animals, man, and food to sustain them – 104:21-24, 27-30

GOD is sovereign and in control of all things. It begins with “my soul” which indicates that the writer acknowledges his need for GOD and GOD meets his need in a personal way through relationship. The use of “soul” means his entire being praises “Yahweh,” his GOD. The writer has such a relationship with GOD that he reveals what he has learned from that relationship regarding creation. Creation was the result of GOD’S Master Design and HE did not just create it but cares for it to maintain it.

Let’s read Psalm 104:1-5:

1 My soul, praise • Yahweh! Lord my God, You are very great; You are clothed with majesty and splendor. 2 He wraps Himself in light as if it were a robe, spreading out the sky like a canopy, 3 laying the beams of His palace on the waters above, making the clouds His chariot, walking on the wings of the wind, 4 and making the winds His messengers, flames of fire His servants. 5 He established the earth on its foundations; it will never be shaken.

The writer referred to GOD as “clothed with majesty and splendor” which refers to dignity and impressive presence. GOD is “light” and in HIM there is no shadow of turning because HE is the source of truth and light. GOD is not fickle like the manmade gods some people worship. GOD uses the elements to sustain life upon earth and to reveal to mankind that HE is in charge. HE speaks through HIS creation to mankind.

GOD placed earth in the exact spot to sustain life. Science confirms that earth is in the exact spot with the exact ratio of sunlight, atmosphere, water and reproducible food to sustain life. GOD created it and maintains it. If that perfect position is ever changed it will be GOD that changes it because HE established its foundations. The earth is HIS and all that is in it.

These verses and those to follow reflect both poetry and words which can be sung regarding GOD creating earth, sustaining it, its inhabitants and revealing Himself to mankind. Earth and life are no accident, GOD created it all for a purpose and HIS desire is for mankind to acknowledge HIM and ultimately HIS redemptive love for mankind through faith in HIS only Son, JESUS.

Let’s read Psalm 104:6-23:

6 You covered it (earth) with the deep as if it were a garment; the waters stood above the mountains. 7 At Your rebuke the waters fled; at the sound of Your thunder they hurried away— 8 mountains rose and valleys sank— to the place You established for them. 9 You set a boundary they cannot cross; they (waters) will never cover the earth again. 10 He causes the springs to gush into the valleys; they flow between the mountains. 11 They supply water for every wild beast; the wild donkeys quench their thirst. 12 The birds of the sky live beside the springs; they sing among the foliage. 13 He waters the mountains from His palace; the earth is satisfied by the fruit of Your labor. 14 He causes grass to grow for the livestock and provides crops for man to cultivate, producing food from the earth, 15 wine that makes man’s heart glad— making his face shine with oil— and bread that sustains man’s heart. 16 The trees of the Lord flourish, the cedars of Lebanon that He planted. 17 There the birds make their nests; the stork makes its home in the pine trees. 18 The high mountains are for the wild goats; the cliffs are a refuge for hyraxes. 19 He made the moon to mark the festivals; the sun knows when to set. 20 You bring darkness, and it becomes night, when all the forest animals stir. 21 The young lions roar for their prey and seek their food from God. 22 The sun rises; they go back and lie down in their dens. 23 Man goes out to his work and to his labor until evening.

The psalmist reveals the personal involvement GOD had in creation and its functionality and care. Earth was not an accident but purposely designed, implemented and continues to be cared for by GOD.

Let’s read Psalm 104:24-26:

24 How countless are Your works, Lord! In wisdom You have made them all; the earth is full of Your creatures. 25 Here is the sea, vast and wide, teeming with creatures beyond number— living things both large and small. 26 There the ships move about, and • Leviathan (a sea creature), which You formed to play there.

GOD created all for a purpose including the large sea creature called the Leviathan. In ancient legends, the Leviathan was a sea creature that fought with the gods. In the Bible, the Leviathan is depicted as an enemy of GOD. In this scripture, the Leviathan is depicted as GOD’S creation, which is not to be feared because it is under GOD’S control.

This draws us back into the fact that GOD is sovereign and in control of all things. HE imparts HIS wisdom to HIS children to deal with all matters no matter how frightening they may be. All living things, including mankind, depend upon GOD maintaining earth. Can man change the weather patterns? No! But we see the importance of weather patterns upon where we live and the production of food.

Let’s read Psalm 104:27-30:

27 All of them wait for You to give them their food at the right time. 28 When You give it to them, they gather it; when You open Your hand, they are satisfied with good things. 29 When You hide Your face, they are terrified; when You take away their breath, they die and return to the dust. 30 When You send Your breath, they are created, and You renew the face of the earth.

GOD is sovereign and takes care of all living things including people.

The Bible is clear; there is a time to be born and a time to die. We are living in the time GOD has appointed for us, who are living, to experience life upon earth. It is every person’s opportunity to accept or reject CHRIST as his or her Savior.

Between birth and death is time. Keep in mind that mankind was not created for time but for eternity. Time upon earth is mankind’s opportunity to discover GOD and HIS redemptive plan of eternal life through faith in CHRIST. Salvation is the beginning process of building an intimate, loving relationship with CHRIST. Through our relationship with CHRIST, GOD is revealed and understood.

Every living thing depends upon GOD to provide their physical food and in doing so HE reveals Himself. The use of the word “breath” means “Spirit.” HIS desire is for all to acknowledge HIM by accepting CHRIST as their Savior. When a person dies, his or her spirit leaves his or her body goes into eternity and the physical body returns to dust. Those who place their faith in CHRIST receive the free gift of eternal life through the miracle of rebirth. Their natural spirit is transformed by the Spirit of GOD and they become GOD’S Son or Daughters. They will spend eternity with HIM and JESUS in Heaven.  

The psalmist reveals his heart toward GOD in this psalm. If you were to write a psalm reflecting your journey and discovery of GOD and CHRIST, what would it be? I challenge you to write your psalm.

The psalmist sums up his psalm:

31 May the glory of the Lord endure forever; may the Lord rejoice in His works. 32 He looks at the earth, and it trembles; He touches the mountains, and they pour out smoke. 33 I will sing to the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God while I live. 34 May my meditation be pleasing to Him; I will rejoice in the Lord. 35 May sinners vanish from the earth and wicked people be no more. My soul, praise Yahweh! • Hallelujah!

Since the psalmist wrote this psalm, the promised Messiah, JESUS, has come to earth and HE revealed GOD in the flesh. Place your faith in CHRIST, receive salvation and discover the awesomeness of being GOD’S child. Start your journey building a loving, intimate, personal relationship with GOD through faith in CHRIST. Blessings!!!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home