Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Friday, March 09, 2012

Bible Study - Worship - I Call on You - Psalm 86 - March 11, 2011

Bible Study - Worship – I Call on You – March 11, 2011

This is lesson two (2) in our series entitled “The Heart of Worship.”

Our scripture is Psalm 86:1-17.

Psalm 86 was written by King David. Bible scholars are not sure at what stage of life he was in when he wrote it. As we study the various Psalms, we discover that David and others, who wrote Psalms, faced issues in their lives that we often face. Our enemies or circumstances may be different from a hostile group of people closing in on you to kill you. But it may be an addiction, financial woes, battles with friends, battles at the workplace, battles within the home, church and the list goes on.

Before CHRIST, GOD occupied some place outside of those seeking the presence of GOD, whereas Christians are blessed mightily because of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Before CHRIST, the worshippers and seekers of help, comfort and assurance sought HIM in the temple or certain places of worship. Christians have the presence of GOD within them 24/7. Our un-confessed sin may block us from sensing HIS presence in our lives but HE never leaves us or forsakes us. First John 1:9 tells us - 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgivePs 103:3; Jr 31:34; Mt 9:6; 26:28; Col 1:14; Jms 5:15 us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Because the various writers of Psalms wrote down their interactions with GOD, we have the opportunity of reading and learning from them today. Many years ago, I attended a Campus Crusade for Christ meeting where Rev. Peter Lord spoke. He challenged us to keep a prayer journal. I kept one for awhile but soon stopped because it became more of a life story and journey rather than capturing requests to GOD, HIM revealing truth, dialogue or HIS response to my requests. But a prayer journal is a good idea. It will reveal our interaction with the LORD and how HE answered our prayers. A prayer journal can be left behind for others to have a record of some of our intimate moments with our LORD after we have departed this earth.

In our last series of study, we studied that Christians have the fullness of CHRIST in them the instant they receive CHRIST as their Savior. They are washed whiter than snow and are made righteous through the shed blood of CHRIST. Christians are fully Christian at the instant of their salvation.    

It is like human conception. The instant the sperm and egg unite, a human is conceived. The embryo is fully human and has the fullness of human life. At that instant, the human growth process begins. That human embryo needs nourishment and care in order to grow and develop into a fully functional human. The Spiritual rebirth of the human spirit, through faith in CHRIST, results in a child of GOD. From that instant the born-again believer has the fullness of CHRIST but needs to grow Spiritually. The Spiritually born need nourishment, training, exercise, etc.

Remember what CHRIST said in John 15:5 - 5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without Me.

Just as the growing embryo needs nourishment from its mother and care after birth, Christians need nourishment that is provided by being grafted into the true Spiritual vine, CHRIST.

Worship is part of our growing and maturing in CHRIST. Since Christians have the fullness of CHRIST in them, why do they need to worship? We discussed in our last lesson that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is housed in a body of flesh. The process of sanctification is a lifelong process of bringing our flesh into conformity with the Spirit to make Christians into the image of CHRIST. This is accomplished through the renewing of the mind, which is part of the sanctification process.

One aspect of worship is for Christians to look into GOD’S mirror. Christians are in the world. The Holy Spirit brought to mind those who work in a coal mine. They interact with the world of coal all day and when they come out of the mine, they are covered in coal dust. The evidence of their days work is on their faces, hands and on their clothes. As Christians function in the world, it is easy for them to have the dirt and grime of the world on them. Unless we look into GOD’S mirror, we never know what we look like Spiritually. A part of worship is prayer or talking to GOD and asking HIM to examine our lives in relation to where we are and where we need to be from HIS view point. Reading and studying the Bible, prayer and worship can be mirrors for our Spiritual progress and development. As Christians, are we going through the motions or are we truly coming into the presence of GOD in Spirit and truth? Each individual Christian and GOD knows the truth of our relationship with HIM. David was talking to GOD, in essence, praying. What is prayer?

Prayer is carrying on a conversation with GOD. A conversation is a two-way street. It is us talking and then listening. A prayer journal is a good way to record our conversation with GOD. This gives us a record of our interaction with GOD. There is no set protocol for talking to GOD, other than honesty. Let’s consider Psalm 86.

Let’s read Psalm 86:1-7, 14:
Lament and Petition


1 Listen, Lord, and answer me,[1] Ps 4:1; 17:6; 71:2; 102:2 for I am poor and needy.
2 Protect my life, for I am faithful.[2] Ps 37:28; 97:10; 1 Sm 2:9 You are my God; save Your servant who trusts in You.
3 Be gracious to me, Lord, for I call to You all day long.[3] Ps 27:7; 57:1; 119:58
4 Bring joy to Your servant’s life,[4] Ps 90:15; 92:4 since I set my hope on You, Lord.[5] Ps 43:8
5 For You, Lord, are kind and ready to forgive, abundant in faithful love[6] Ex 34:6; Nm 14:18; Neh 9:17 to all who call on You.
6 Lord, hear my prayer; listen to my plea for mercy.
7 I call on You in the day of my distress, for You will answer me.[7]

David asked GOD to listen to him because he was powerless to solve the situation he was in (Verse 14). He needed GOD’S help, GOD’S power and GOD to protect his life. David may have gotten himself into a situation that he thought GOD might have questioned. If so, he realized this and asked GOD to extend HIS grace (Be Gracious to me) to him and come to his aid.

Psalm 86:14 gives us information regarding his situation:

14 God, arrogant people have attacked me; a gang of ruthless men seeks my life.[15] Ps 119:69,85 They have no regard for You.

David’s hope was in GOD. He reminded GOD of WHO HE was – kind, ready to forgive, abundant in faithful love to all who call on HIM. I think his reference to “all” was his way of reminding GOD that “all” included him.

I have a friend that I prayed with years ago who prayed with an open Bible. When he asked GOD for something he would quote scripture where GOD promised to do so-and-so. He would claim that promise in his prayer. In verse 5, David was reminding GOD of WHO HE was. David had experienced these attributes of GOD as he had grown in his knowledge of GOD and his interaction with GOD over time and various situations in his life.

When Christians come before GOD, it is important that they know who GOD really is. David was confident that GOD would listen to him and respond. This does not always mean that we will get what we ask for but we trust HIM when the answer is “no”. Ps 20:1; 50:15; Gn 35:3

Let’s read Psalm 86:8-13:

8 Lord, there is no one like You among the gods, and there are no works like Yours.[8] Ex 15:11; Dt 3:24; Isa 45:21
9 All the nations You have made will come and bow down before You, Lord, and will honor Your name.[9] Ps 22:27; 66:4; Zch 14:16
10 For You are great and perform wonders; You alone are God.[10] Ps 83:19; 2 Kg 19:15; Jr 10:6
11 Teach me Your way, Lord, and I will live by Your truth.[11] Ps 26:3; 27:11; Isa 2:3 Give me an undivided mind to fear Your name.[12] Ps 111:9; Dt 28:58; 1 Kg 8:43
12 I will praise You with all my heart, Lord my God, and will honor Your name forever.
13 For Your faithful love for me is great,[13]
Ps 57:10; 145:8 and You deliver my life from the depths of Sheol.[14]

As David thought of the faithfulness of GOD, it led him to praise GOD as reflected in verses 8, 9 and 10. David knew the true living GOD because they had walked together. Do you know the true living GOD that dwells within you?

In verse 11, David wanted to know GOD more intimately. He wanted GOD to teach him and doing so would help him live as GOD desired. Maybe this was David’s way of saying, “GOD if you will teach me, then I won’t get myself into these situations where YOU have to keep coming to my rescue.”

David’s desire was to have a mind firmly set on GOD’S mission for him. His desire was to serve GOD out of reverence and a sound mind. Then he could praise GOD from a pure heart and a heart that had no hidden motives. His heart would not be compromised.

David knew that GOD loved him because HE had plucked him from the depths of Hell itself. GOD had rescued him and placed his feet on solid ground. David’s mind was likely recalling all the times that GOD had rescued him from life threatening situations.

David fought various enemies and saw the hand of GOD at work in his life. GOD works in our lives every moment of every day. Only eternity will reveal the many times HE has rescued us from certain death by altering our life or preventing us from coming into contact with unseen things that would cause us serious harm. Ps 30:3; 49:14–15; Jnh 2:3–6

Let’s read Psalm 86:15-16:

15 But You, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger and abundant in faithful love and truth.[16] Ex 34:6; Nm 14:18; Neh 9:17
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me. Give Your strength to Your servant; save the son of Your female servant.

David had made his request to GOD and again he reminded GOD of HIS nature – compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, abundant in faithful love and truth. Then, in essence, it seems that David was saying since YOU are compassionate, gracious, etc. please help me in this time of need. David needed GOD’S strength to carry on. David also needed assurance from GOD that HE would help him.

His next statement, “save the son of YOUR female servant,” is interesting. Some translate this as “save YOUR faithful son.” Some believe that David was speaking of “Israel” as the female servant.  Some think it was a pious woman, possibly his mother.

Could it be that the statement just came out which may have startled him or puzzled him when he said it? I remember years ago, I was coming home from work one afternoon and praying. I prayed that I would be in the right frame of mind when I got home and the thought occurred to me that the family may have had a bad day. So I prayed for each one beginning with my wife and each of our three (3) children by name and when I had called all of their names, I said, “and for our unborn child.” That was a shock to me because we were not expecting a baby. About a week or so went by and my wife said, “If I did not know better, I would think I am pregnant.” I told her what had happened to me. Yes, she was pregnant with our fourth child. The LORD wanted him prayed for before we knew that he had been conceived but GOD knew.

Could David’s statement be prophesy regarding the promised Messiah? CHRIST was of the earthly linage of David and if something happened to David would that have disrupted GOD’S plan for JESUS’ mother Mary? Folks, we may have to wait to get the answer to that question when we get to heaven.

Let’s read Psalm 86:17:

17 Show me a sign of Your goodness; my enemies will see and be put to shame because You, Lord, have helped and comforted me.

David asked GOD to reveal Himself to these arrogant, ruthless people who did not acknowledge HIM in their lives. David wanted GOD to vindicate him in such a way that those who were seeking to kill him would see that GOD was his protector. Have you ever felt like that? I think many of us have at one time. But when GOD does not come to our rescue, what then? Do we still trust HIM?

Years ago, I read the book “Tortured for Christ.” Sometime later, I was pondering the book. Something triggered me to tell GOD that I am better to my children than HE is to HIS children. I told HIM, “If I was GOD and someone harmed a hair on my child’s head, I would ZAP them. That person would know without a doubt that he/she had harmed one of my children.” GOD is so awesome. After I shut up, HE responded. HE said, “Suppose I did exactly as you said and ZAPPED the person who harmed one of MY children so that all would know that they better not harm one of MY children. Why would someone come to ME? Would it be because the person loved ME or because of the protection I would provide?” That was a no brainer. I said, “Because of YOUR protection.” GOD does watch over and protect HIS children but HE is also sovereign. I know that HE has watched over me many times in my life and kept me from harm.

Salvation is step one in a lifelong journey. Serving GOD through CHRIST is not easy and HE never told us that it would be easy. Christians can approach GOD with their questions, problems, requests, praises or any way they choose. HE wants them to be honest with HIM. HE knows when we are faking it. When we fake it, there is a Spiritual problem that needs attention and repairing. Don’t try to cover over your true feelings but let your requests be known to HIM. Isaiah 1:18 tells us:


18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

GOD listens and is open to us as a loving Father. Have a conversation with HIM and keep in mind that a conversation is a two-way street, talk and listen.

May your journey with HIM be awesome and exciting because in 1 Peter 5:6-7, the Apostle Peter tells GOD’S children to - 6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that He may exalt you in due time,[10] Lit in time [11] Jb 22:29; Mt 23:12; Lk 14:11; 18:14; Jms 4:10
7 casting all your care upon Him, because He cares about you.[12] Ps 55:22; Mt 6:25–34  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home