Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Philip: The Man WHo Loved to Tell People About Jesus - Acts 6, 8 and 21 - May 31, 2009

Sunday School Lesson – Philip: The Man Who Loved to Tell People About Jesus – May 31, 2009

This is the final study in our series entitled “Profiles in Character.”

Our scripture is Acts 6:1-7; 8:4-8, 26-31, 34-35; 21: 8-9.

The Philip we are studying is not to be confused with Philip the apostle. The Philip in our study was one of seven men chosen to distribute food to the widows of both the Jewish Christians, who lived in the Jerusalem area and spoke Hebrew or “Hebraic Jews” and the Grecian speaking Jewish Christians who grew up and lived outside the Jerusalem area and spoke Greek. The Greek speaking Christians were called “Grecian Jews” or “Hellenistic Jews” and felt discriminated against. The apostles were trying to minister to the needs of both groups and found that it was taking much of their time to distribute food, which was needed to preach the gospel. Our first scripture begins with the solution to this problem and Philip was part of the solution.

Let’s read Acts 6: 1-7:

1 In those days, as the number of the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint by the Hellenistic Jews[1] Jews of Gk language and culture against the Hebraic Jews[2] Jews of Aram or Hb language and culture that their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution. 2 Then the Twelve summoned the whole company of the disciples and said, “It would not be right for us to give up preaching about God to wait on tables. 3 Therefore, brothers, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and wisdom, whom we can appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the preaching ministry.” 5 The proposal pleased the whole company. So they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a • proselyte from Antioch. 6 They had them stand before the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them.[3] The laying on of hands signified the prayer of blessing for the beginning of a new ministry. 7 So the preaching about God flourished, the number of the disciples in Jerusalem multiplied greatly, and a large group of priests became obedient to the faith.

The Christian faith was growing by leaps and bounds. The Christians were being persecuted because of their faith in JESUS. Christians had to look out for one another which resulted in unity. One of the ministry projects of the early church was to care for the widows. In that time and society widows were often neglected and they were helpless to care for themselves. As with many well meaning ministries at times, problems arise. This was no exception. The Greek speaking Jewish Christian widows believed they were being discriminated against when it came to the distribution of food compared to the native born Hebrew speaking Jewish Christian widows. This problem threatened the unity of the Christian group. The Apostles had taken over the distribution of the food but it was taking them away from preaching the gospel. The solution was to select fellow Christians who both groups had confidence in to take over these duties. Thus our first deacons were created. The Apostles called the entire group together. This was the first congregational meeting to present the problem and the solution.

The Apostles had certain requirements those chosen should have, such as men of honest report (ethical), full of the HOLY SPIRIT and full of wisdom. The congregation liked the idea of selecting a trustworthy group to focus on the widows care ministry and they selected seven (7) men. It is interesting that the names of the seven (7) men selected were Greek names. Even though they may have been Greek speaking, the congregation had confidence that they would not discriminate against either group. It could have been that they let the Greek speaking select the Seven.

Philip was selected to serve. This shows the confidence the congregation had in him and reveals his character. He not only served, he also preached the gospel which we learn as we continue our study.

Just as a side note, we spoke of Stephen in last week’s study. We see that Stephen was also selected as one (1) of the Seven. Stephen was also the first Christian martyr.
The Apostles laid hands on those chosen and commissioned them for service.
As a result of freeing up of the Apostles to preach the gospel, those becoming Christians continued to flourish and even priests were becoming believers. When we read this scripture, it makes me wonder what happened to our Jewish brothers along the way over the years. I know there are Messianic Jews today who believe in CHRIST as the Messiah but you would think the Jews would be the predominate group of people to be Christians.

We will also see from the scripture that Philip not only served in this ministry but he was also called by the LORD to be an evangelist. He was a faithful, obedient servant.

Let’s read Acts 8: 4-8:

Philip in Samaria
4 So those who were scattered went on their way proclaiming the message of good news. 5 Philip went down to a[1] Other mss read the city in Samaria and preached the • Messiah to them. 6 The crowds paid attention with one mind to what Philip said, as they heard and saw the signs he was performing. 7 For unclean spirits, crying out with a loud voice, came out of many who were possessed, and many who were paralyzed and lame were healed. 8 So there was great joy in that city.

When Stephen was martyred, persecution broke out against the Christians. This resulted in the Christians scattering to other areas of the country. GOD uses all things for good and as a result of this scattering the Good News was spread to other areas. Philip went to Samaria and preached the message of CHRIST. Jews hated the Samaritans but Philip did not let that bother him. He went to Samaria to present the Good News. Philip attracted large crowds of people. The Samaritans were also looking for the coming of the Messiah. The Samaritans saw the power of GOD at work through signs of healing, unclean spirits being cast out, the lame and paralyzed being healed.
As a result, there was great joy because many were converted to CHRIST. There is always great joy when we surrender our lives to CHRIST, even the angels in heaven rejoice. The following scripture captured the conversion of Simon the sorcerer.

Acts 8:9-13:
9 A man named Simon had previously practiced sorcery in that city and astounded the • Samaritan people, while claiming to be somebody great. 10 They all paid attention to him, from the least of them to the greatest, and they said, “This man is called the Great Power of God!”[2] Or This is the power of God called Great 11 They were attentive to him because he had astounded them with his sorceries for a long time. 12 But when they believed Philip, as he proclaimed the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. 13 Then even Simon himself believed. And after he was baptized, he went around constantly with[3] Or he kept close company with Philip and was astounded as he observed the signs and great miracles that were being performed.

Philip went to the despised Samaritans to preach the gospel. This revealed more of his character. Philip was not a prejudiced person. He had the Good News and wanted to present it where ever GOD wanted him to preach. We continue to see the willingness of Philip to be led by the HOLY SPIRIT in our next scripture.

Let’s read Acts 8:26-40:

The Conversion of the Ethiopian Official
26 An angel of the Lord spoke to Philip: “Get up and go south to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to desert Gaza.”[8] Perhaps old Gaza or the road near the desert 27 So he got up and went. There was an Ethiopian man, a eunuch and high official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of her entire treasury. He had come to worship in Jerusalem 28 and was sitting in his chariot on his way home, reading the prophet Isaiah aloud. 29 The Spirit told Philip, “Go and join that chariot.” 30 When Philip ran up to it, he heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, “Do you understand what you’re reading?” 31 “How can I,” he said, “unless someone guides me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 Now the Scripture passage he was reading was this: He was led like a sheep to the slaughter, and as a lamb is silent before its shearer, so He does not open His mouth. 33 In His humiliation justice was denied Him. Who will describe His generation? For His life is taken from the earth.[9] Isaiah 53:7–8 34 The eunuch replied to Philip, “I ask you, who is the prophet saying this about—himself or another person?” 35 So Philip proceeded[10] Lit Philip opened his mouth to tell him the good news about Jesus, beginning from that Scripture. 36 As they were traveling down the road, they came to some water. The eunuch said, “Look, there’s water! What would keep me from being baptized?” [ 37 And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart you may.” And he replied, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”][11] Other mss omit bracketed text 38 Then he ordered the chariot to stop, and both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him any longer. But he went on his way rejoicing. 40 Philip appeared in[12] Or Philip was found at, or Philip found himself in Azotus,[13] Or Ashdod and passing through, he was evangelizing all the towns until he came to Caesarea.

Philip left Samaria to return to Jerusalem. As he traveled back to Jerusalem, he preached in the Samaritan villages along the way. This also reveals the heart of Philip. He wanted to use his time wisely and share the Good News along the way. GOD knew his heart and his willingness to be obedient to HIS call. Many of us might think GOD has never used me in this way. Would you go if GOD called you to go to a desolate area or would you rationalize, “Why would GOD lead me to go to such a place? It must not be GOD I am hearing.”


The LORD brings to my mind an experience I had years ago. I was driving out of town to attend a meeting which the distance would mean an overnight stay somewhere along the way. I was listening to the radio and a preacher was preaching on “Ask and you will receive.” I took issue with what the preacher was saying and began talking to the LORD like, “I have asked and not received. If you listen to this preacher you would think that Christians can just ask whatever and receive it.” When my lecture to the LORD finished, the still small voice of the LORD said, “When you ask according to MY will it will be done.” So I said, “Okay LORD I have to spend the night somewhere on the road tonight. Where do YOU want me to stop? I want to do YOUR will. Whatever YOU ask me to do, I will.” I went to the meeting and when I left the meeting I said LORD, “Where do YOU want me to spend the night? I was in Raleigh, NC and had the choices of staying in Raleigh, Greensboro or driving back to Spartanburg, SC. The LORD clearly said Greensboro. So I drive toward Greensboro. As I get close to Greensboro, the billboards reminded me that the NCAA Tournament was going on. I again asked the LORD where I should stay because rooms would be scarce. HE led me to a certain motel and I asked for a room. The desk clerk looked at me and asked, “Where did you come from. Didn’t I know there was no room within fifty (50) miles of Greensboro?” I uttered a prayer and the LORD said in essence, don’t worry you will have a room. The desk clerk said if you are willing to wait I have one room and if the person does not show, I could have that room. I waited and asked the LORD what HE wanted me to do. I suggested tickets to the NCAA tournament would be nice but HE said I want you to go to church. I asked what church? It was on a Wednesday. I was led to go to the Yellow Pages of the telephone book.

I went over to the telephone directory and looked through the Yellow Pages. I picked out a church or two but the LORD said “no”. I went across one church and HE said that was it. I went on to others but HE kept leading me back to this one church. I said okay. As I write this I do not recall the name of the church but it was a “street name” Baptist church. I got the room and asked the desk clerk where this church was located. He did not know but pointed me in a general direction.

I drove toward that direction and praying because it is getting late for a church service. I asked the LORD to help me find the church. HE said, “Look up.” I saw three (3) church steeples and HE said, “Do you see the middle steeple? I said, “Yes.” HE said drive to it. Guess what? That was the church. I said, “LORD I need another thing, which door should I go into?” HE led me to a certain door of the church and as I was walking toward that door, I said, “It would be nice if there was someone who could show me where the Wednesday night service was being held.” I opened the door and a man was leaning on a table at the far end of a long hall. I went up to him and asked him where the Wednesday night service was being held. He said, “I did not know.” My heart sank for a moment but he quickly said, “But this lady will know because this is the pastor’s wife.” She said, “Come with me.” We sat on the same pew. The pastor’s wife had told me that her husband was out of town and he had asked a deacon to lead the service. I said, “LORD here I am, what do YOU want me to do?” HE said, “I want you to give your testimony.”

I went into panic mode. The deacon had gotten up to speak. He told us that the pastor had asked him to conduct the service. He had his Bible and it had numerous slips of paper marking certain passages of scripture. I said, “LORD, it would be rude for me to jump up and take up this man’s time for me to give my testimony. He had prepared his message but if YOU work it out I will do it.” The deacon said, “I have been working on a message for you for a long time as you can see with all these slips of paper but frankly I have nothing to say.” My heart went into panic mode again. He said, “If anyone has anything to say, please say it.” Now, you would think that was an open invitation but I asked the LORD, “I am willing to share my testimony but I want to be asked.” Guess what? HE said, “Done” and the pastor’s wife, who was sitting about six (6) or so feet from me leaned over and touched my arm and said, “Sir, don’t you have something to say.” With that I sprang to my feet and told them what I had just related to you. I gave my testimony. There were no visible signs of the LORD working. I know the LORD showed me, when a believer asks according to HIS will, it will be done. The LORD is still calling believers to do HIS will every day.

When GOD called Philip he got up and went to the desert. He did not question the call. This was also part of his character. He responded when prompted.

Philip encounters an Ethiopian man riding in a chariot reading scripture. When GOD calls, HE also sets up the entry point for the conversation. That is key when witnessing. Let GOD lead you to witness. When HE does, HE prepares the opportunity and the heart.

It was stated that the Ethiopian man was a eunuch. He could have been a eunuch, as we know eunuchs, or he could have been called a “eunuch” or a title. Eunuch was the title for Treasurer, likely because eunuchs typically held that office. If this man was a eunuch he would have been restricted from certain areas of the temple.

He likely came from a Jewish family because many Jews had settled in that area of Africa. In fact that area became the cradle of Christianity. We get to see GOD’S hand at work to establish Christianity in Africa.

The perfect opening to witness is a person reading scripture and having questions. When Philip encountered the Ethiopian man reading scripture, out loud, it confirmed why GOD called him to go to the desert. Philip asked him, if he knew what he was reading? Philip knew the scripture he was reading and used that to reveal truth to him. This is why it is important for believers to study the scripture. But believers need to also keep in mind that GOD knows what they know and he uses them according. Believers should not refrain from witnessing when the opportunity arises because GOD uses HIS children in the capacity of their obedience and HIS provision.

The Ethiopian wanted to know who the scripture was referring to. Philip said JESUS. The Ethiopian believed and was baptized. Then the Spirit of the LORD led Philip away. It implies that Philip like was transported or vanished and ended up in Azotus. It could have been that Philip was so overjoyed with GOD using him in such a mighty way, that the trip from the desert to where he was being led next was a blur. Have you ever been so happy and full of joy that time seemed to stand still? This could have been what Philip experienced but I do not rule out the power of the LORD to zap him to Azotus.

Let’s read Acts 21: 8-9:

8 The next day we (Paul and Luke) left and came to Caesarea, where we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the Seven,[1] Ac 6:1–7 and stayed with him. 9 This man had four virgin daughters who prophesied.

We fast forward about twenty (20) years. Paul and Luke swung down to Caesarea to visit with Philip. Remember Paul was the young soldier that guarded the clothes of those who stoned his brother in CHRIST, Stephen. Luke referred to Philip as an evangelist. Luke does not call anyone else in the Book of Acts an evangelist. Luke ties him to the Seven who were chosen to distribute food. Philip and his wife had four (4) virgin daughters who prophesied. Philip’s daughters could have been marrying age but had chosen not to marry or they could have been young. We see that Philip remained faithful in serving our LORD from his early years to his older years. We learn that he had shared the gospel to his family and taught them. They all served the LORD. It is so important to share the gospel with our loved ones.

Are we willing to share the Good News with others as the LORD leads us? It is a great joy when the LORD leads us to share and the person to whom we are sharing the gospel is ready to receive the message of salvation. If you were minding your own business and the LORD called you to go to a certain place, would you do it? Philip did and what a blessing. HE still does today and what a blessing when HE does. Just yield yourself to building the relationship with HIM and HE will call you to serve HIM in any way HE chooses. It is exciting!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home