Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Wanted: Missionaries - Acts 13 and Galatians 2 - December 28, 2008

Sunday School Lesson - Wanted: Missionaries – December 28, 2008

This is our final lesson in our series “A Heart for Missions.”

Our scripture is Acts 13:1-3; 14:26-27; 26:15-19; Galatians 2:1-10.

My contention is that GOD calls all believers to be missionaries. However, GOD gives a special call to some believers to minister to certain areas or people groups. Some believers are called to support those who receive a special calling – provide funds, prayer support, encouragement, teach, wise counsel, help build organizations to train those being called and the list goes on and on.

In last week’s lesson the angel revealed to the shepherds the birth of the Messiah. They went, they saw, they believed and they told others. GOD’S plan is for each believer to tell others the Good News and Great Joy that the Messiah has come. HE lived upon earth as 100% human, was tempted in all ways like people are yet remained sinless. HE gave HIS life upon the cross by shedding HIS blood to die in the place of every sinner who will accept HIM and was buried. HE was raised from the dead by GOD HIS FATHER. HE walked upon earth for 40 days where over 500 people saw HIM, ascended into heaven and sat at the right hand of GOD. HE sent the HOLY SPIRIT to indwell and empower every believer. Believers build a relationship with GOD based upon their confidence and trust they have in HIM by yielding their lives and the control of their lives to HIM. This is through a process called sanctification. The degree that believers are willing to allow GOD to use them often determines what GOD calls them to do. In the Apostle Paul’s case GOD got his attention in a stark way but few believers have such a stark encounter with the living CHRIST.

A special calling to serve HIM in any capacity comes in many different ways. Believers have thoughts about a direction GOD wants for their lives and then these thoughts grow as they study GOD’S Word, pray. Other believers confirm it as they seek confirmation. GOD will direct your path. There is no set process because each believer has his or her own way of being convinced that GOD is calling him or her to serve HIM.

GOD issues the invitation or calling to serve HIM but it is our choice whether or not we respond. Some respond who have never been called and others who are called fail to respond. Some time people get caught up in an emotional moment and respond that GOD has called them to a certain mission. Later they discover that it was not a true calling. Some may feel guilty because they made a statement before the church but GOD forgives and wants them to move on in serving HIM.

When GOD calls, HE will provide. It will still likely be a tough journey but GOD will be your comforter, power, protector, provider and strength.

Let’s read Acts 26:15-19:

15 “But I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ “And the Lord replied: ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 16 But get up and stand on your feet. For I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you as a servant and a witness of things you have seen,[2] Other mss read things in which you have seen Me and of things in which I will appear to you. 17 I will rescue you from the people and from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, 18 to open their eyes that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a share among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ 19 “Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision.

This is the Apostle Paul’s testimony he gave to King Agrippa. It is vital that every believer prepare his or her testimony. A believer can use Paul’s testimony in Acts 26 as a guide for preparing his or her testimony. When a believer presents the gospel to others they can argue biblical facts but they cannot argue with a person’s testimony.

We have all heard dramatic testimonies and I have heard fellow believers say, “I wish I had been worse before I became a Christian, so I would have a dramatic testimony.” I can tell you some of the most powerful testimonies I have heard have been from believers who accepted CHRIST at an early age and grew and matured spiritually. Your testimony is your personal encounter with CHRIST. It is far better not to have the scars of sin in your life than to battle the evils of your past life in sin.

CHRIST told Paul that HE had called him for a specific purpose and HE would teach him and watch over him as he served HIM.

Let’s read Acts 13:1-3:

Preparing for the Mission Field

1 In the local church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger (NIGH guhr), Lucius (LYOO shuhs) the Cyrenian, Manaen (MAN uh en), a close friend of • Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2 As they were ministering to[1] Or were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work that I have called them to.” 3 Then, after they had fasted, prayed, and laid hands on them,[2] See note at Ac 6:6 they sent them off.

The Christians in Antioch were going about their routine ministering and fasting. This could be indication that they were seeking what CHRIST wanted them to do. The HOLY SPIRIT instructed them to set apart Barnabas and Saul for a special work.

The church then joined them in their calling by fasting, praying and laying on hands. This was to show support for their calling. Barnabas and Saul (Paul) go but the others remained behind and supported them.

This is done today. Many churches send mission teams and have a special commissioning service before they leave on their mission trip. They ask for the church to pray for the team as they are in the mission field. Rather than a team it could be families or individuals who the LORD has called.

Some are called to go and some are called to stay but support those who are called.

Let’s read Acts 14:26-27:

26 From there they sailed back to Antioch where they had been entrusted to the grace of God for the work they had completed. 27 After they arrived and gathered the church together, they reported everything God had done with them, and that He had opened the door of faith to the Gentiles. 28 And they spent a considerable time[6] Or spent no little time with the disciples.

Barnabas and Paul accomplished the mission and returned to the church that commissioned them to go. They gave a report on everything GOD had done. It is vital that the missionaries tell what GOD did through them. Paul talked about the LORD opening the door. GOD is the ONE WHO opens the doors of opportunity. We need to seize the moment when HE opens the door.

I had an exciting experience today. I had written a check to give to a ministry in October but for various reasons I had not sent it to them. In last week’s lesson we discussed how we need to act when the HOLY SPIRIT prompts us. My wife and I were doing some final shopping. As I was preparing to go, the LORD prompted me to find the check and place it into my wallet. I reluctantly did so but murmuring “LORD you know I won’t see this person today.” The LORD said, "Take the check." I did. We made several stops and were making our final stop. I dropped my wife at the grocery while I went to a nearby drug store. I came back to the grocery and called my wife on my cell phone. I told her I was in the parking lot of the grocery and unless she needed me I would not come into the store. She said I need for you to come into the store. I entered the store and called her to find out where she was. She wasn’t far and I said she could meet me in the front of the store. I put my cell phone up and to my surprise, the person I thought impossible for me to encounter that day pushed his shopping cart right by me. He had two (2) of their five (5) children. I was shocked and pleased all at the same time. I spoke and immediately told him I had something for him, reached into my wallet and handed him the check. These folks are home missionaries and minister to some of the poor sections in Spartanburg. They also started a ministry among the Laotians in our area. He told me that he and his wife had decided not to take a salary this month because the giving had been poor. This family lives on a shoe string but the LORD meets their needs and the needs of the ministry. He said they were ministering to over 200 children and adults in their week night ministry and had over thirty (3) Laotians in that ministry.

I can tell you there was rejoicing in Bi-Lo, mainly by me because I had seen the LORD work through my obedience.

What a blessing I would have missed if I had concluded that there was no way I would see this person that day. GOD is awesome and HE will allow us to share HIS joy when we are obedient. The ministry was in need. The LORD provided. I was poor in spirit but the LORD made me rich in spirit because a need was met though me.

Missions are all around us. When the LORD prompts, respond.

Let’s read Galatians 2:1-10:

1 Then after 14 years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also. 2 I went up because of a revelation and presented to them the gospel I preach among the Gentiles—but privately to those recognized [as leaders]* The bracketed text has been added for clarity. —so that I might not be running, or have run, in vain. 3 But not even Titus who was with me, though he was a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised. 4 [This issue arose]* The bracketed text has been added for clarity. because of false brothers smuggled in, who came in secretly to spy on our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, in order to enslave us. 5 But we did not yield in submission to these people for even an hour, so that the truth of the gospel would remain for you.

6 But from those recognized as important (what they really were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism[1] Or God is not a respecter of persons; lit God does not receive the face of man )—those recognized as important added nothing to me. 7 On the contrary, they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel for the uncircumcised, just as Peter was for the circumcised. 8 For He who was at work with Peter in the apostleship to the circumcised was also at work with me among the Gentiles. 9 When James, • Cephas, and John, recognized as pillars, acknowledged the grace that had been given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to me and Barnabas, [agreeing]* The bracketed text has been added for clarity. that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. 10 [They asked]* The bracketed text has been added for clarity. only that we would remember the poor, which I made every effort to do.

This was not Paul’s first visit to Jerusalem. It is interesting that Paul took two (2) colleagues with him and Paul presented to the leaders the gospel he had been preaching. One main point was his preaching regarding circumcision. Paul did not think it was necessary for a Gentile to be circumcised as part of becoming a Christian. The leaders in Jerusalem agreed. The point being a house divided cannot stand. Paul was led to confirm with leadership what he believed to be true. Agreement produces unity and when in one accord the group can advance in harmony, realizing that there will be some acceptable differences. But they all serve the same SAVIOR and LORD.

In the Apostle Paul’s letter to the Galatians he said GOD does not look upon the status of people. GOD does not show favoritism because of earthly stature, position, wealthy, pedigree, high estate or low estate and neither should we. All people are precious to GOD and all deserve the opportunity to be presented the Good News.

It is important that missionaries work together. In our scripture, Apostles Peter and Paul agreed on the people groups the LORD had called them to minister to – Peter to the circumcised or the Jews and Paul to the non-circumcised or the Gentiles. This did not mean there were strict boundaries because each Apostle also ministered to all people groups.

I know it can be a problem when local Christians are working in their homeland and have Christians come from other countries and begin ministering. Often the visiting missionaries are better equipped and have the financial backing of those sending them. In fact, I believe, in some areas ministry would be better served if those willing to send missionaries would provide funding to build the local base using those already in ministry or are preparing for ministry. It would be more efficient and effective to build from within that country.

When Christian missionaries come from another country to a country that has established a church network for that same denomination, they must communicate with the local ministers and Christian training facilities. In fact even reaching across to other denominations that preach the gospel is good. Christian groups must communicate with each other. I have witnessed such a situation and communicating has moved mountains.

When such territorial issues raise their heads, it shows the hearts of those involved. GOD wants missionaries to grow beyond jealousies that the flesh raises and work harmony and unity with their fellow laborers for the LORD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home