Bible Study

This is a copy of the Sunday School Lessons presented to an adult class each Sunday.

Name:
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States

Retired, Lobbyist in Washington,DC - Management - BS Chemistry and various continuing education courses

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Show Me the Proof - John 6:1-71 - February 25, 2007

Sunday school Lesson – Show Me the Proof – February 25, 2007

This is the final lesson in our series “Christianity is CHRIST.”

Our background and focus scripture is John 6:1-71.

This lesson brings back a lot of memories regarding my journey to understand CHRIST and my relationship with CHRIST. I was raised by Christian parents who took me to church each Sunday. Both sets of my grandparents were also Christians. I remember my mother and father reading Bible stories to me each Sunday afternoon. This was a special time for me. I made a profession of faith when I was about 9 years old but I was never sure of my salvation until I was in my early 30’s. I had a lot of questions about GOD, even questioned the existence of GOD and often thought about how GOD could prove Himself to me.

In my early adult years, I thought about asking GOD to make a tree fall over or cause the heavy cast iron cover on the sanitary sewer to rise into the air on my command. Yet, as quickly as I would think of something GOD could physically do to prove Himself, I thought, “Even if GOD did the things I requested, how would I really know it was HIM doing it? After all, the tree may have been going to fall anyway or some physical thing going to happen to cause the sewer cover to rise into the air.” So all my conceived physical tests for GOD to prove Himself to me were not iron clad.

I struggled for many years until I was in my early 30’s and had tried to live the Christian life in my own strength and found it completely impossible to do. My concept of being a Christian was performance oriented. When driving to work early one morning, I was praying and told GOD that I had really tried to live the so called Christian life and just plain could not do it. I would make a deal with HIM. I would give HIM my life just like it was, the good and the bad (Because I was trying to clean up my life myself. I was trying to live the Christian life in my own strength.) but HE would have to give me the strength to live the Christian life. WOW!!! Guess what? That is exactly what HE wanted me to do for all the years I struggled trying to discover HIM through reasoning and struggling in my own power to be acceptable to GOD. GOD allowed me to wrestle with HIM to lead me to the point to encounter HIM. I had to exhaust my efforts to figure GOD out and trust fully in HIM.

Human logic will never confirm your assurance of salvation. Place your trust in GOD through CHRIST and then the HOLY SPIRIT will give you the assurance of your salvation. 1 John 5:11-13 and Romans 8:16 capture the heart of assurance of salvation:

1 John 5:11-12:
11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 The one who has the Son has life. The one who doesn’t have the Son of God does not have life. 13 I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Romans 8:16:
16 The Spirit Himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God’s children,

Proof that GOD is Who HE says HE is, is confirmed spiritually.

When I accepted CHRIST as my SAVIOR about the age of 9 years old, I am convinced HE allowed me to search for the right relationship with HIM. HE knew the search would lead to the relationship HE knew was possible. The study of “Experiencing God” written by Dr. Henry T. Blackaby and Claude V. King, LifeWay Press, LifeWay Church Resources, One LifeWay Plaza, Nashville, TN 37234-0175 two (2) years ago helped me to discover, in a real way, my relationship to GOD. The last two (2) years have been an exciting journey of getting to know HIM. It just gets better because it is no longer a performance relationship but an intimate loving relationship.

We as humans will never figure GOD out. GOD calls all people to repentance and salvation. Whether we accept HIS invitation is every person’s choice. GOD calls but it is left up to us to respond to HIS call. After we take the step of faith it is then that we get the assurance of salvation.

As we study our lesson today, we will see that the followers of JESUS wanted proof. We will see that Peter makes a statement of faith regarding JESUS but we know that this same Peter will deny CHRIST later. But we also know of Peter’s repentance and his resulting solid faith in JESUS after the resurrection of CHRIST. Moments of doubt usually lead to a more solid relationship with GOD through CHRIST when we seek the truth and accept HIS forgiveness. Living the Christian life is an awesome journey with our LORD JESUS as HE reveals truth to us through the HOLY SPIRIT. It takes a decision on our part to want to really know HIM. Do you really want to know HIM? Then study HIS Word and pray and ask HIM to reveal Himself to you as only HE can.

Let’s read John 6:1-15:
The Fourth Sign: Feeding 5,000
1 After this, Jesus crossed the Sea of Galilee (or Tiberias). 2 And a huge crowd was following Him because they saw the signs that He was performing on the sick. 3 So Jesus went up a mountain and sat down there with His disciples. 4 Now the • Passover, a Jewish festival, was near. 5 Therefore, when Jesus looked up and noticed a huge crowd coming toward Him, He asked Philip, “Where will we buy bread so these people can eat?” 6 He asked this to test him, for He Himself knew what He was going to do. 7 Philip answered, “Two hundred • denarii worth of bread wouldn’t be enough for each of them to have a little.” 8 One of His disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, said to Him, 9 “There’s a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish—but what are they for so many?” 10 Then Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” There was plenty of grass in that place, so they sat down. The men numbered about 5,000. 11 Then Jesus took the loaves, and after giving thanks He distributed them to those who were seated—so also with the fish, as much as they wanted. 12 When they were full, He told His disciples, “Collect the leftovers so that nothing is wasted.” 13 So they collected them and filled 12 baskets with the pieces from the five barley loaves that were left over by those who had eaten. 14 When the people saw the sign[1] Other mss read signs He had done, they said, “This really is the Prophet[2] Dt 18:15 who was to come into the world!” 15 Therefore, when Jesus knew that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king, He withdrew again[3] A previous withdrawal is mentioned in Mk 6:31–32, an event that occurred just before the feeding of the 5,000. to the mountain by Himself.
JESUS uses this opportunity to build the faith of HIS disciples. HE asks Philip where he would buy bread to feed the crowd. Philip was from that area and would know where to buy bread. HE was testing Philip. Philip looked at solving the problem with money but Andrew looked for the available resources. The resources are meager, but in the hands of the SON of GOD, they are sufficient. The disciples and the crowd need another sign to verify that JESUS is the SON of GOD.
The miracle was tied to food because the Pharisees tried to follow every detail of the law presented by Moses. GOD had provided Manna from heaven to feed their forefathers through the leadership of Moses. They were more fixated on following Moses than GOD WHO gave the law to Moses and provided the Manna.


JESUS dealt with this earlier in John 5:45-47:

45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom you have set your hope. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, because he wrote about Me. 47 But if you don’t believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

The feeding of the 5,000 is a miracle from GOD through HIS SON JESUS, as a sign to the people and to JESUS’ disciples. GOD fed the Israelites Manna from heaven when they were in the wilderness. JESUS used the miracle of feeding the 5,000 to make the connection that HE is the Manna from heaven that will sustain them not just for a day or so but for all eternity. The people did not make the spiritual connection but they did see JESUS as ONE WHO could provide for their physical needs. HE would make the perfect earthly king.
When all the people had been fed, there were 12 baskets of food left over. Each disciple had a basket of leftovers as a reminder of GOD'S sufficiency. How about that!
How often do we look at our resources and say they are not enough? But in the hands of the MASTER, it is always enough with some left over.

We see that the people were looking for an earthly king, so JESUS had to withdraw from them. Does JESUS have to withdraw from us even today because we are drawing the wrong conclusions about HIM? Are we seeking HIM for the wrong reasons? GOD allows us to seek and we run into a barrier on occasions. I ran into a barrier and had to relinquish my will to HIM before we could continue our journey together. I was trying to earn my way to heaven but what GOD wanted was for me to place my life into HIS hands under HIS control. After many years, I am still relinquishing my control to HIS authority. For me it has been and still is a long on-going process but worth every step.

Let’s read John 6:16-21:
The Fifth Sign: Walking on Water
16 When evening came, His disciples went down to the sea, 17 got into a boat, and started across the sea to Capernaum. Darkness had already set in, but Jesus had not yet come to them. 18 Then a high wind arose, and the sea began to churn. 19 After they had rowed about three or four miles,[4] Lit 25 or 30 stadia; 1 stadion = 600 feet they saw Jesus walking on the sea. He was coming near the boat, and they were afraid. 20 But He said to them, “It is I.[5] Lit I am Don’t be afraid!” 21 Then they were willing to take Him on board, and at once the boat was at the shore where they were heading.

This is a great event. The disciples are 3-4 miles off shore, the lake is about 150 feet deep, and they are rowing their hearts out in a storm. JESUS is walking on water. In the original text the wording suggests that JESUS acted as if HE would walk past them. When I read this I had to laugh. JESUS has a sense of humor. I can see HIM now walking on the water and HIS disciples struggling and afraid. HE acts if HE would walk past them, possibly waving to them and saying hey guy’s what is your problem? I decided to walk because it is quicker than your rowing. JESUS is always with us even in the midst of the storms of life.

Let’s read John 6:22-27:
The Bread of Life
22 The next day, the crowd that had stayed on the other side of the sea knew there had been only one boat.[6] Other mss add into which His disciples had entered [They also knew]* The bracketed text has been added for clarity. that Jesus had not boarded the boat with His disciples, but that His disciples had gone off alone. 23 Some boats from Tiberias came near the place where they ate the bread after the Lord gave thanks. 24 When the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor His disciples were there, they got into the boats and went to Capernaum looking for Jesus. 25 When they found Him on the other side of the sea, they said to Him, “• Rabbi, when did You get here?” 26 Jesus answered, “• I assure you: You are looking for Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate the loaves and were filled. 27 Don’t work for the food that perishes but for the food that lasts for eternal life, which the • Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal of approval on Him.”

The next day the crowd is searching for JESUS. Were they hungry? They must have concluded that JESUS must have hitched a ride on a boat going to Capernaum. They find JESUS and question HIM. JESUS does not mince words; HE goes to the very heart of their hearts. JESUS in essence is saying to them, you are not searching for ME for spiritual reasons but for physical reasons. You are trying to relive life with Moses and you are looking for an earthly leader. You are following ME for the wrong reasons. It is clear you people are more interested in your stomachs and the here and now than you are in spiritual matters. You would follow anyone who would provide for your physical needs. Have you ever thought about once your stomachs are full and life is as good as it can get and you die? What happens? Is this life on earth all that there is?

You have placed your priorities in the wrong place. You are focused on this life but you need to consider what will happen to you once you die. I offer you more than physical food which will sustain you while you are on earth. I offer you eternal life when you leave this earth. Which is more important the here and now or eternity?

Let’s read John 6:28-71 with comments along the way:

28 “What can we do to perform the works of God?” they asked.

I thought this was an interesting question. JESUS got their attention, at least to the point of them asking what they can do. Did they want to do the works of GOD so they could provide their own food or to serve GOD? JESUS wants to focus their attention on HIS mission. It is not about their efforts but it is about their faith in the SON of GOD. You want to know about the works of GOD, well let ME tell you.

29 Jesus replied, “This is the work of God: that you believe in the One He has sent.”

You want to please GOD then accept ME. They respond with, “Show us a sign.” Well where have they been all this time?

30 “What sign then are You going to do so we may see and believe You?” they asked. “What are You going to perform? 31 Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, just as it is written: He gave them bread from heaven to eat.”[7] Bread miraculously provided by God for the Israelites [8]

The crowd is still focused on food. It seems the crowd is equating JESUS with Moses or that JESUS is a Moses like person and they are not focusing on the fact that JESUS is the SON of GOD. JESUS had just given them a sign the day before by feeding the 5,000. This shows that the people have a heart problem. They are blind to the truth but JESUS goes the extra mile to give them understanding. HE does the same with us today. Seek HIM and you will find HIM.

Ex 16:4; Ps 78:24 32 Jesus said to them, “I assure you: Moses didn’t give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the real bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is the One who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” 34 Then they said, “Sir, give us this bread always!”

JESUS attempts to make the connection for them. First HE tells them that Moses did not give them the Manna, it was GOD. Moses was only GOD’S representative. GOD gave you the Manna. Now GOD is sending you the true bread from heaven which will sustain you for all eternity. They address JESUS as “sir” and not “Rabbi” as they had earlier. They still do not make the connection, so JESUS continues to try to get though to them.

This is an example of how GOD tries to reach every person with the truth.

35 “I am the bread of life,” Jesus told them. “No one who comes to Me will ever be hungry, and no one who believes in Me will ever be thirsty again. 36 But as I told you, you’ve seen Me,[9] Other mss omit Me and yet you do not believe. 37 Everyone the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will never cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of Him who sent Me: that I should lose none of those He has given Me but should raise them up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of My Father: that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

JESUS attempted to make HIS purpose and mission very clear to the crowd. HE is saying not to focus on the here and now but focus on your life after your life on earth. Where will you spend eternity? I AM the answer to the question. But did they get it?

41 Therefore the Jews started complaining about Him, because He said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” 42 They were saying, “Isn’t this Jesus the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can He now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” 43 Jesus answered them, “Stop complaining among yourselves. 44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws[10] Or brings, or leads; see the use of this Gk verb in Jn 12:32; 21:6; Ac 16:19; Jms 2:6. him, and I will raise him up on the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets: And they will all be taught by God.[11] Isaiah 54:13 Everyone who has listened to and learned from the Father comes to Me— 46 not that anyone has seen the Father except the One who is from God. He has seen the Father. 47 “I assure you: Anyone who believes[12] Other mss add in Me has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna[13] Ex 16:12–36 in the wilderness, and they died. 50 This is the bread that comes down from heaven so that anyone may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will live forever. The bread that I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.”

This really gets the crowd going. So how does the crowd respond? They complain and argue among themselves. Many times when we have questions, rather than going to the source of truth, often we seek answers from a variety of other sources. The blind often lead the blind. They had the source of truth right there with them but they could not get beyond their prejudice. Oh FATHER open the eyes of our hearts that we might see YOU clearly.

52 At that, the Jews argued among themselves, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “I assure you: Unless you eat the flesh of the • Son of Man and drink His blood, you do not have life in yourselves. 54 Anyone who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day, 55 because My flesh is real food and My blood is real drink. 56 The one who eats My flesh and drinks My blood lives in Me, and I in him. 57 Just as the living Father sent Me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven; it is not like the manna[14] Other mss omit the manna your fathers ate—and they died. The one who eats this bread will live forever.” 59 He said these things while teaching in the • synagogue in Capernaum.

JESUS tries to jolt them into asking HIM questions. I will admit HE has given them some heavy theology. Remember JESUS only spoke as the FATHER directed HIM to speak. JESUS is making a distinction between the spiritual and the physical. The physical food we eat sustains us for a short time but the spiritual food HE provides will sustain all who believe in HIM, for eternity.

JESUS was saying just as you have to eat food to get the nourishment it provides, you must consume and internalize ME through personal belief before you will be nourished and sustained spiritually.

We know this today because HE sent the HOLY SPIRIT to indwell every believer. It is through the HOLY SPIRIT that we are taught and receive confirmation that we are HIS children and have eternal life.

All JESUS was saying to the crowd could not be fully understood until HE had completed HIS mission. Until JESUS completed HIS mission, the people would have to make the connection between prophesy given in the scripture, what they were seeing with their own eyes and hearing with their own ears.

GOD was calling them but what was their problem? It was the attitude of their hearts. They could not take a step of faith because they saw JESUS as a man and not as the SON of GOD. They had their minds made up the Messiah would be an earthly king and not a spiritual king.

Our preconceived notions about GOD can blind us to an awesome encounter with GOD through JESUS. Do not let that happen to you. Confess any doubts or concerns to GOD and ask HIM to reveal the truth to you. Ask JESUS to forgive you of your sin and to come into your heart as your SAVIOR now. Do not let this opportunity pass you by.

Many Disciples Desert Jesus
60 Therefore, when many of His disciples heard this, they said, “This teaching is hard! Who can accept[15] Lit hear it?” 61 Jesus, knowing in Himself that His disciples were complaining about this, asked them, “Does this offend you? 62 Then what if you were to observe the Son of Man ascending to where He was before? 63 The Spirit is the One who gives life. The flesh doesn’t help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life. 64 But there are some among you who don’t believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning those who would not[16] Other mss omit not believe and the one who would betray Him.) 65 He said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to Me unless it is granted to him by the Father.” 66 From that moment many of His disciples turned back and no longer accompanied Him. 67 Therefore Jesus said to the Twelve, “You don’t want to go away too, do you?” 68 Simon Peter answered, “Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and know that You are the Holy One of God!”[17] Other mss read You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God 70 Jesus replied to them, “Didn’t I choose you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is the Devil!”[18] Jn 13:2,27 71 He was referring to Judas, Simon Iscariot’s son,[19] Other mss read Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son [20] Lit Judas, of Simon Iscariot one of the Twelve, because he was going to betray Him.

JESUS’ followers agree this is a very difficult teaching. JESUS gives HIS disciples the opportunity to decide what they will do. HE gives that choice to each of us today. The choices are nothing and death or CHRIST and eternal life. How do you choose?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home